An early service of what became St. Stephen's, Burquitlam [later Burnaby] was held in "Seven Gables" the Wiltshire family home, with the Rev. F.V. Venables, then in charge of St. John, Port Moody officiating. Earlier, the Union Church had been used and later services were held in the "Little Red Schoolhouse" until the St. Stephen's church building, dedicated September 28, 1913, was completed on land donated, in trust, to the diocese. This building was enlarged and renovated in 1958 to better serve parish needs. Activities were held in an agricultural hall until the parish hall was completed in 1931. Over the years this building was up-dated, with a fund raising campaign for major renovations to begin in 1981. Before this could happen, the old hall was destroyed by arson. The area was changing and pressure to sell and move elsewhere were made by land developers, but the parish decided to remain in place. Following hard work by the parish, insurance funds were eventually released and with other funds a new hall was built and other improvements to the grounds were made. This new hall was dedicated in September 1984. The first rectory was purchased in 1952, being replaced by a new house in 1960. In 1984, this, too, was sold. The parish was incorporated in 1991, becoming the "Parish of St. Stephen the Martyr, Burnaby" after which the parish bought adjoining property on Cameron Street. A series of students served the parish until 1928, alone and for two years with the Rev. Frank Plaskett [1918-1944]. Both Plaskett and the Rev. John Wilson [1944-1953], were rectors of St. Mary, Sapperton as well as St. Stephen's. The parish has been served as a separate parish since 1953. In 1991, the parish was ministered to by a half-time interim priest-in-charge, moving to a 3/4 time position by 1994. A full time incumbent was inducted into the parish in February 1999. By April, illness forced her to leave and the parish was served by an interim again, until July 2001, when another full time rector was inducted.