Mostrando 137 resultados

Authority record
Entidade coletiva

St. Andrews Parish (Pender Harbour, B.C.)

  • F-369a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1991-2004

The congregations in the parish of Sechelt were originally served by the Columbia Coast Mission and the Skookum Chuck Mission at Egmont. In 1928 the southern section of the Skookum Chuck Mission was separated and worked from St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons. Within this parish, churches were opened at Sechelt (St. Hilda's) and Roberts Creek (St. Aidan's) during the 1930's. St. Hilda's, Sechelt was separated from Gibsons and Roberts Creek in 1964. At the same time, St. Mary's, Garden Bay at Pender Harbour (opened as a Columbia Coast Mission hospital chapel in 1939) and the Church of His Presence, Redroofs at Halfmoon Bay (opened in 1962) were attached to the new parish. These two churches closed in the early 1970's. New work was begun in Madeira Park at Pender Harbour and in 1979 a new church, named St. Andrew's, was dedicated. St. Andrew's was separated from St. Hilda's, Sechelt in 1992.

St. Timothy's Parish (Burnaby, B. C.)

  • F-335b
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 2003-2014

St. Timothy, Burnaby was created through an amalgamation of the former parishes of Christ the King, Burnaby and St. Nicolas, Burnaby and worships in the renovated buildings of the former Christ the King parish.

Anglican Synod of the Diocese of Cariboo

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1914-

The Diocese of Cariboo was created from the second division of the Diocese of New Westminster by decision of the Synod of New Westminster in 1913. The division was confirmed and ratified at the first session of the Provincial Synod in 1914. The Diocese comprises the south central area of British Columbia, including the Fraser River region north of Yale and the Thompson River region. Although created only in 1914, missionary activity in Cariboo extended back to the 1860's under the administration of the Diocese of British Columbia until 1879 and New Westminster from 1879, including work in Barkerville and among the Thompson Indians in the Lytton area. The Synod of the Diocese of Cariboo held its first session in 1914 and was incorporated by an act of the provincial legislature in 1915. As with the basis of division acted upon in the creation of the Diocese of Kootenay, a Bishop of the new Diocese could not be elected until sufficient funds were in place in a Bishopric Endowment Fund. Thus, until 1924 when the first electoral Synod was held, the Bishop of New Westminster maintained jurisdiction over Cariboo. The See city of the Diocese is Kamloops and St. Paul's is the Cathedral

Missions to Seamen (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-297
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1915-

During his holiday in 1835 at Clevedon, an islet in the Bristol Channel, John Ashley, a young clergymen, learned that the people living in the surrounding islets as well as the crew of the fleet off the coast of Wales would greatly appreciate the opportunity to attend a religious service. He determined to devote his life to the men of the sea. In 1837 a Society was formed called the Bristol Mission. In 1845 the name was changed to the Bristol Channel Seamen's Mission with John Ashley as its first chaplain. The cutter "Eirene" was built to visit seagoing vessels. Services were held on board when necessary. In 1856 a preliminary meeting was held in London to form a national society, Missions to Seamen Afloat, at Home and Abroad. Two years later the original Bristol Channel Mission united with the London society to form Missions to Seamen. The society grew around the world into a far-flung;organization. The Missions to Seamen in the Diocese of New Westminster evolved around three branches: Vancouver, North Vancouver and New Westminster. The terms of reference of the Society are: to promote the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafaring persons without distinction of race or nationality in community with the Missions to Seamen, London, England; to provide recreational facilities and sponsor recreational activities in the Diocese; to acquire the rights, title and interest in any real or personal property owned by Missions to Seamen organization, including the property held in trust in its name by the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster; to act in accordance with the principles and received practices of the Anglican Church of Canada and those of the Missions to Seamen of London, England; to raise money for charitable purposes by public and private subscriptions and collections. The members of the Society are: the subscribers to the constitutions and by-laws, persons who made outstanding contributions to the work of Missions to Seamen, and honorary members appointed by the director. Members other than life and honorary members are required to pay an annual subscription. The affairs and property of the Society are administered by a Board of Directors of 12 members. The Bishop of the Diocese is director of the Society ex-officio. The officers elected are: the President, the Vice-president, the Secretary and the Treasurer. The director has the authority to appoint ad-hoc committees to carry out special duties. The director appoints also the Senior Chaplain, Chaplains and Lay Readers in consultation with the Missions to Seamen, London, and after obtaining the approval of the Bishop of the Diocese. In the event of the dissolution of the society, the money or other assets remaining after payment of all creditors have to be delivered to the Diocese of New Westminster to be used for promoting the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafarers. The Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster acknowledges the aims, objectives, and work of the Missions to Seamen of London, England in Canon XXVI. The Synod recognizes the Bishop's right to appoint Chaplains to branches of the Missions to Seamen within the Diocese. In 1913, the Bishop appointed a Committee on Missions to Seamen of four members: two members to be elected by the Synod and two by the Chaplain and Superintendent (31st session of the Synod). The Committee reports annually to the Synod and provides an audited financial statement for each year. The first Seamen Institute was established in Vancouver in 1900 by the Rev. G. Fiennes Clinton, close to St. James' Church on Gore Avenue, Vancouver. In 1904 the establishment became part of the Missions to Seamen Society. Three women's auxiliary groups - the Harbour Light Guild, the Senior Lightkeepers, and the Watch Ashore - arranged social activities and raised money for sailors coming from around the world. The North Vancouver Missions to Seamen branch began with a project in 1934 when the St. John's Men Club was looking for a suitable project to provide a shelter for sailors who spent some hours of leave on the shore. Under the leadership of Canon H.P. Barrette, the Mission became a reality early in 1935. It was incorporated under the Societies Act and authorized by headquarters in London to fly the house flag well known to sailors everywhere as the "Flying Angel". The interest for a Missions to Seamen branch in New Westminster was aroused in 1928 among the members of Holy Trinity Men's Club as a response to the ever-increasing number of seamen visiting the port. A Seamen's Clubroom was opened. In May 1929 the link with Missions to Seamen headquarters was established and the "Flying Angel" international symbol and emblem was flown over the club. The parish of Holy Trinity Cathedral offered substantial support to Missions to Seamen in New Westminster by offering rent free location to the quarters of the organization.

Christ the King Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • F-335a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1955-2003

"Christ the King is a small and caring parish family serving in the Brentwood area of North Burnaby. Founded in 1955 through both St. Nicolas' and St. James' Churches, the character of the parish was originally Anglo Catholic. In the late 60's and early 70's the parish moved into experimental liturgy and ministered to the communitythrough the development of the Cameray Counselling Centre for victims of sexual abuse, a hostel for transient youth, and other outreach projects. Since that time Christ the King has attempted to maintain a balanced approach to its work and worship. Our worship services continue to be somewhat informal and use contemporary language...The Rev. Kathleen (Kay) Schmitt arrived at Christ the King on March 1, 1994, Kay was formerly Priest-in-Charge of St. Richard's, North Vancouver and Rector of St. Margaret's Parish in Edmonton" (From "Welcome to Christ the King" D 1275 / 3) Christ the King Parish closed on October 15, 2003. It is now part of St. Timothy's Parish Burnaby.

Marion Hillard Home

  • A-203a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1967-2002

The Marion Hillard Home was a home for unmarried mothers in Kamloops, BC. it was opened in 1967 and operated by the Cariboo Home Society in the Diocese of Cariboo. The home closed in 2002.

St. Mary's Parish (Kerrisdale, Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-391
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1911-

St. Mary's began as a mission of St. Augustine, Marpole. The parish held its first service in a tent at what is now 37th and Larch in August of 1911. It became self-supporting and separated from St. Augustine in 1912. The church was built and dedicated in 1913, with a rectory and hall following in 1920 and 1924, respectively. It was incorporated in 1914.

Integrity Vancouver

  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1981-

Integrity Canada is a national network of local Integrity chapters, members, and friends working toward the full inclusion of gay and lesbian people in the life and ministry of the Anglican Church of Canada.

Integrity Vancouver is a local expression of the international gay and lesbian Christian movement supporting an inclusive Anglican church, a place of welcome for all people, particularly those who have been excluded or even shunned by the church because of their sexual orientation or gender identification.

In the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster (including metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, and the Sunshine Coast), the Integrity community has been active for almost 30 years, providing a safe place for lesbian and gay Christians to worship and socialize, and calling our larger church family to live into our shared baptismal commitment to "respect the dignity of every human being."

St. Alban the Martyr Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-331
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1907-

The first service of what was to become the parish of St. Alban the Martyr in Burnaby took place in the Municipal Hall in March 1907. A committee was appointed from that group to work towards the establishment of a parish. Parish boundaries were set and the rector of St. Mary, Sapperton was appointed priest-in-charge, beginning June 1, 1907. Two lots were purchased in the name of the Diocese as a suitable location for the church building. The building was completed in March 1909 and the first service in it was held on April 1 of that year. As it was free of debt, it was consecrated by the Bishop a few days later. By January 1921, a rectory had been paid for and in 1923 a parish hall was formally opened. The original church was moved down the street onto what had been the parish tennis courts. The building was raised to allow for a future basement and extended to include a vestry and baptistry. The property on which the church had originally been situated was sold to help pay for these improvements. In 1957-1959, the parsonage house was sold for a sum of money and a lot, the proceeds of which sale were used to build a new rectory. In 1962, further construction was undertaken to parish buildings to better serve parish needs. The parish was incorporated in 1967 and boundaries formally included in the By-laws. After much deliberation pursuant to relocating and building new facilities, it was decided, in 1973, to stay on the existing site, rebuilding the parish hall and modernizing the balance of the facilities. A few years later the rectory, deemed unsuitable for continued use, was sold and another house purchased, to be itself sold within 12 years. The parish continues on this site, celebrating its 90th anniversary in 1999.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 137