Showing 1507 results

Authority record

St. John the Baptist Parish (Sardis, Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-338
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-

The parish of St. John the Baptist, Sardis was established in 1911 after being separated from St. Thomas, Chilliwack. The parish was associated with St. Peter's, Rosedale from 1920 to 1963. From 1971 to 1986, St. John's was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish, a team ministry parish. Since 1987 it has continued as a separate parish.

St. Stephen's Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-336
  • Corporate body
  • 1913-

An early service of what became St. Stephen's, Burquitlam [later Burnaby] was held in "Seven Gables" the Wiltshire family home, with the Rev. F.V. Venables, then in charge of St. John, Port Moody officiating. Earlier, the Union Church had been used and later services were held in the "Little Red Schoolhouse" until the St. Stephen's church building, dedicated September 28, 1913, was completed on land donated, in trust, to the diocese. This building was enlarged and renovated in 1958 to better serve parish needs. Activities were held in an agricultural hall until the parish hall was completed in 1931. Over the years this building was up-dated, with a fund raising campaign for major renovations to begin in 1981. Before this could happen, the old hall was destroyed by arson. The area was changing and pressure to sell and move elsewhere were made by land developers, but the parish decided to remain in place. Following hard work by the parish, insurance funds were eventually released and with other funds a new hall was built and other improvements to the grounds were made. This new hall was dedicated in September 1984. The first rectory was purchased in 1952, being replaced by a new house in 1960. In 1984, this, too, was sold. The parish was incorporated in 1991, becoming the "Parish of St. Stephen the Martyr, Burnaby" after which the parish bought adjoining property on Cameron Street. A series of students served the parish until 1928, alone and for two years with the Rev. Frank Plaskett [1918-1944]. Both Plaskett and the Rev. John Wilson [1944-1953], were rectors of St. Mary, Sapperton as well as St. Stephen's. The parish has been served as a separate parish since 1953. In 1991, the parish was ministered to by a half-time interim priest-in-charge, moving to a 3/4 time position by 1994. A full time incumbent was inducted into the parish in February 1999. By April, illness forced her to leave and the parish was served by an interim again, until July 2001, when another full time rector was inducted.

St. Nicolas' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-335
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1999

On November 10, 1911, a meeting was held in a private home, with five laymen and the rector of All Saints, Burnaby, the Rev. H.C.L. Hooper, attending. So began what was to become the parish of St. Nicolas, Burnaby to serve the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby. After several more meetings, it was decided to organize a mission parish, with the rector of All Saints in charge. Services were held in a store and a school until the church was completed in July 1912. By October of that year a resident clergyman, the Rev. B. Davies-Moore, was appointed. During the 1920's a parish hall was built, the church was put on a cement foundation and the parish became self-supporting, although the parish was burdened by ongoing debt. The parish survived the depression and was able to add to the church fabric during the 1940's. By 1951, the parish was able to burn the mortgage, becoming debt free. At this same time, the hall was raised and a basement added, with no debt incurred. Following a building programme beginning in 1961, the enlarged church building was dedicated by Bishop Gower on September 17 of that year. The parish incorporated on June 15, 1962 and given the corporate name of "The Parish of St. Nicolas". Titles to parish properties were then transferred from the diocese to the newly incorporated parish. The by-laws were amended in 1974. With the assistance of monies from an estate, St. Nicolas built a new rectory in 1969, which was blessed on Nov. 30. From 1931 to 1950, St. Nicolas shared an incumbent with St. Margaret of Scotland, also in Burnaby. From 1950 to 1998 three rectors served St. Nicolas, alone. Changing ministry needs in the area resulted in the parish being served by an interim priest-in-charge from 1999 together with Christ the King, Burnaby. The joint group was worshipping in the St. Nicolas church building from 1997-2003. The joint group is now known as the parish of St. Timothy.

St. Margaret of Scotland Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-334
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.

St. John the Divine Parish (Central Park, Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-333
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-2009

The building of the inter-urban between Vancouver and New Westminster led to increased settlement along its route. One of the results of this settlement was a desire, by the people, for a church. A Church of England mission, the first church mission of any denomination in Burnaby, was established and grant monies from the diocese in place for a January 1, 1899 beginning. The Rev. A.J. Greer initially held services in private homes until the original St. John's was built on the south side of Westminster Road [now Kingsway] to serve the Central Park and Burnaby Lake areas. This original church, which was actually built within the boundaries of Central Park, was destroyed by fire in 1904. A second church was built on the north side of the street, in 1906, where the parish continued to worship until 1999. Over the years, facilities expanded with a parish hall and bowling alley added. In the 1950's the church building was re-oriented on its site and expanded with the addition of a crypt. During the 1980's St. John's property was considered as a possible site for a Diocesan Centre. While deliberations were underway, St. John's parishioners were hampered as they tried to realistically consider future ministry in buildings and at a location that were no longer suitable for parish purposes. Ultimately, the Diocesan Centre was not developed. The Parish was the first in the diocese to make use of the suggestions in the "Spencer Commission Report" and with the Ministry and Congregational Development Committee as a guide, the diocese and St. John's renovated the old St. Andrew's, Broadview church building (unused for six years). On March 21, 1999 a Service of Thanksgiving for 100 years of Anglican ministry on Kingsway was held as the last service in the old building. On March 24, 1999, the Parish, with Bishop Michael Ingham celebrated a Service of Consecration for the newly reopened building at 3426 Smith Avenue.

St. Alban the Martyr Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-331
  • Corporate body
  • 1907-

The first service of what was to become the parish of St. Alban the Martyr in Burnaby took place in the Municipal Hall in March 1907. A committee was appointed from that group to work towards the establishment of a parish. Parish boundaries were set and the rector of St. Mary, Sapperton was appointed priest-in-charge, beginning June 1, 1907. Two lots were purchased in the name of the Diocese as a suitable location for the church building. The building was completed in March 1909 and the first service in it was held on April 1 of that year. As it was free of debt, it was consecrated by the Bishop a few days later. By January 1921, a rectory had been paid for and in 1923 a parish hall was formally opened. The original church was moved down the street onto what had been the parish tennis courts. The building was raised to allow for a future basement and extended to include a vestry and baptistry. The property on which the church had originally been situated was sold to help pay for these improvements. In 1957-1959, the parsonage house was sold for a sum of money and a lot, the proceeds of which sale were used to build a new rectory. In 1962, further construction was undertaken to parish buildings to better serve parish needs. The parish was incorporated in 1967 and boundaries formally included in the By-laws. After much deliberation pursuant to relocating and building new facilities, it was decided, in 1973, to stay on the existing site, rebuilding the parish hall and modernizing the balance of the facilities. A few years later the rectory, deemed unsuitable for continued use, was sold and another house purchased, to be itself sold within 12 years. The parish continues on this site, celebrating its 90th anniversary in 1999.

Fort Langley Deanery

  • A-324
  • Corporate body

Created in 1963 from division of Yale Deanery. Dissolved in 1971.

Barbara Stopford

  • A-318
  • Person

Barbara Stopford (nee Bould) was active in the Anglican Young Peoples Association (A.Y.P.A.) in the 1940's, serving on the Vancouver West Deanery Council and the B.C. Provincial Council. The A.Y.P.A. society was founded by Rev. Canon Brown in 1903. The purpose of the organization was to promote religious, social and intellectual welfare of the youth. The affairs of the association were administered by the Dominion Council represented by Provincial Councils in all provinces. The Provincial Councils worked in close relationship with parishes through actions initiated and fulfilled by various branches. The badge of the A.Y.P.A, worn by members, was in a shield shape with Chi Rho, the first two letters for the Christ's name in Greek, on its face. As an active member of the A.Y.P.A. at the provincial level, Barbara Stopford held the position of Promotion and Extension Convenor (1946-1948) and attended the local, provincial and Dominion conferences.

Somerville, The Right Rev. Thomas David and Frances

  • A-317
  • Family
  • 1915-2011

Thomas David Somerville was born in Ashcroft, (B.C.), on November 11, 1915. Educated at Vancouver's King George High School (B.C.) and the Anglican Theological College of B.C. (now the Vancouver School of Theology), T. D. Somerville was ordained at the age of 25. Since ordination, Bishop Somerville climbed slowly and steadily within the church hierarchy: pastoral work in Vancouver, Princeton and Cultus Lake, including the parish of St. James' in Vancouver where he served as curate and eventually rector between 1949 and 1960. He had also served as canon of the Diocese of New Westminster before moving to assume executive duties with the Anglican Church in Toronto. After holding positions as general secretary of the Board of Religious Education and director of Planning and Research, he returned to Vancouver to be consecrated as Coadjutor Bishop - thus succeeding then-Archbishop Godfrey Gower - in January 1969. When Archbishop Gower retired in 1971, T. D. Somerville became sixth Bishop of New Westminster (1971-1980); in 1975, he became the seventh Metropolitan of Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia (1975-1980). Described as a "quiet radical" at the time of his consecration, Bishop Somerville was a progressive, innovative church thinker and administrator. He pioneered the church movement to ordain women into the Anglican ministry, he campaigned to lower the traditional age for communion for church members, and he travelled extensively in the Western world as a guest preacher, retreat conductor, and spiritual resource leader.

Frances Somerville was born Frances Vivian Smith Gardner in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia on June 5, 1916. She was baptized and confirmed at St. John’s, Lunenburg – the same church where her parents were married. She graduated from Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia with a BA in English and Psychology in 1939. She went on garner a Teacher’s Diploma in “Voice, Culture and Singing and Public School Music – Voice” from the Maritime Academy of Music, where she later taught. Always involved in music, she began her performing career as part of the Dalhousie University Glee Club and later went on to perform professionally, both in person and on the radio – with the CBC and Norwegian Royalty as some of her most noted audiences. She performed throughout the 1930’s and 1940’s. In 1946 she married the Reverend Harold James Best of Woodstock, New Brunswick. The couple moved to British Columbia in 1951. In 1985 Frances married Archbishop David Somerville, and the two lived in North Vancouver until their deaths. She was an avid writer. She penned an autobiography of Archbishop Somerville called “David: Archbishop and Friend” and was known for her witty poems and heartfelt prayers. Frances died August 16, 2007

Sillitoe, Acton Windeyer, 1840-1894 fonds

  • A-316
  • Person
  • 1840-1934

A. W. Sillitoe was the first Bishop of New Westminster (1879-1894). Born in 1840 at Sydney, Australia, educated at Cambridge, England, chaplain to the British legation at Darmstadt and tutor to the Princess Alice, A.W. Sillitoe was called in the prime of his life (at the age of 39) to organize the Anglican communities on the British Columbia Lower Mainland and the southern interior. His wife, Violet E. Sillitoe, assisted and accompanied him during hard journeys throughout the province and played a vital role for Christianity in the coast's pioneer days. Violet, beloved through the province, died in 1934, in Vancouver

Results 91 to 100 of 1507