Showing 137 results

Authority record
Corporate body

St. Nicolas' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-335
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1999

On November 10, 1911, a meeting was held in a private home, with five laymen and the rector of All Saints, Burnaby, the Rev. H.C.L. Hooper, attending. So began what was to become the parish of St. Nicolas, Burnaby to serve the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby. After several more meetings, it was decided to organize a mission parish, with the rector of All Saints in charge. Services were held in a store and a school until the church was completed in July 1912. By October of that year a resident clergyman, the Rev. B. Davies-Moore, was appointed. During the 1920's a parish hall was built, the church was put on a cement foundation and the parish became self-supporting, although the parish was burdened by ongoing debt. The parish survived the depression and was able to add to the church fabric during the 1940's. By 1951, the parish was able to burn the mortgage, becoming debt free. At this same time, the hall was raised and a basement added, with no debt incurred. Following a building programme beginning in 1961, the enlarged church building was dedicated by Bishop Gower on September 17 of that year. The parish incorporated on June 15, 1962 and given the corporate name of "The Parish of St. Nicolas". Titles to parish properties were then transferred from the diocese to the newly incorporated parish. The by-laws were amended in 1974. With the assistance of monies from an estate, St. Nicolas built a new rectory in 1969, which was blessed on Nov. 30. From 1931 to 1950, St. Nicolas shared an incumbent with St. Margaret of Scotland, also in Burnaby. From 1950 to 1998 three rectors served St. Nicolas, alone. Changing ministry needs in the area resulted in the parish being served by an interim priest-in-charge from 1999 together with Christ the King, Burnaby. The joint group was worshipping in the St. Nicolas church building from 1997-2003. The joint group is now known as the parish of St. Timothy.

St. Margaret of Scotland Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-334
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.

St. John the Divine Parish (Central Park, Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-333
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-2009

The building of the inter-urban between Vancouver and New Westminster led to increased settlement along its route. One of the results of this settlement was a desire, by the people, for a church. A Church of England mission, the first church mission of any denomination in Burnaby, was established and grant monies from the diocese in place for a January 1, 1899 beginning. The Rev. A.J. Greer initially held services in private homes until the original St. John's was built on the south side of Westminster Road [now Kingsway] to serve the Central Park and Burnaby Lake areas. This original church, which was actually built within the boundaries of Central Park, was destroyed by fire in 1904. A second church was built on the north side of the street, in 1906, where the parish continued to worship until 1999. Over the years, facilities expanded with a parish hall and bowling alley added. In the 1950's the church building was re-oriented on its site and expanded with the addition of a crypt. During the 1980's St. John's property was considered as a possible site for a Diocesan Centre. While deliberations were underway, St. John's parishioners were hampered as they tried to realistically consider future ministry in buildings and at a location that were no longer suitable for parish purposes. Ultimately, the Diocesan Centre was not developed. The Parish was the first in the diocese to make use of the suggestions in the "Spencer Commission Report" and with the Ministry and Congregational Development Committee as a guide, the diocese and St. John's renovated the old St. Andrew's, Broadview church building (unused for six years). On March 21, 1999 a Service of Thanksgiving for 100 years of Anglican ministry on Kingsway was held as the last service in the old building. On March 24, 1999, the Parish, with Bishop Michael Ingham celebrated a Service of Consecration for the newly reopened building at 3426 Smith Avenue.

St. Alban the Martyr Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-331
  • Corporate body
  • 1907-

The first service of what was to become the parish of St. Alban the Martyr in Burnaby took place in the Municipal Hall in March 1907. A committee was appointed from that group to work towards the establishment of a parish. Parish boundaries were set and the rector of St. Mary, Sapperton was appointed priest-in-charge, beginning June 1, 1907. Two lots were purchased in the name of the Diocese as a suitable location for the church building. The building was completed in March 1909 and the first service in it was held on April 1 of that year. As it was free of debt, it was consecrated by the Bishop a few days later. By January 1921, a rectory had been paid for and in 1923 a parish hall was formally opened. The original church was moved down the street onto what had been the parish tennis courts. The building was raised to allow for a future basement and extended to include a vestry and baptistry. The property on which the church had originally been situated was sold to help pay for these improvements. In 1957-1959, the parsonage house was sold for a sum of money and a lot, the proceeds of which sale were used to build a new rectory. In 1962, further construction was undertaken to parish buildings to better serve parish needs. The parish was incorporated in 1967 and boundaries formally included in the By-laws. After much deliberation pursuant to relocating and building new facilities, it was decided, in 1973, to stay on the existing site, rebuilding the parish hall and modernizing the balance of the facilities. A few years later the rectory, deemed unsuitable for continued use, was sold and another house purchased, to be itself sold within 12 years. The parish continues on this site, celebrating its 90th anniversary in 1999.

Fort Langley Deanery

  • A-324
  • Corporate body

Created in 1963 from division of Yale Deanery. Dissolved in 1971.

St. Paul's Church Building Company (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-302
  • Corporate body
  • 1897-

Established in 1893 and incorporated in 1897, St. Paul's Church Building Company Ltd. was formed to provide a building suitable for a church at or near the existent site of St. Paul's Church, on the corner of Pendrell and Jervis St., Vancouver, B.C.; to purchase, take on lease, or otherwise acquire lands, buildings, or property real or personal which may be conveniently used in connection with the objectives of the company; to raise money by subscriptions; to lend and advance money to St. Paul's Church for the purpose of repairing or expanding the building; to maintain property and buildings for St. Paul's Church, Vancouver. The capital of the company was provided by shares

St. Jude's Anglican Home (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-300
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

Established in 1948 in Vancouver as a home for elderly women. Since 1978 the scope of care offered by St. Jude's has been extended to long-term care as well as including elderly men.

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-299
  • Corporate body
  • 1971-1974

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee was formed in 1971 to counter a decision to demolish the Cathedral and redevelop the site. The tentative plans proposed the construction of a high-rise office block, incorporating a small religious sanctum. The Committee, representing members of the congregation and members of the Anglican community at large, submitted a plan of preservation of the site to the Vancouver City Council. The City Council was asked to ensure the preservation of the building and to support the request of the Committee for a $500,000 endowment fund to be provided by the Diocesan Council. Hugh Crisp Fuller, a parish member, serving as President of the Committee, led the efforts to preserve the Cathedral building.

Pacific Coast Theological Conference (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-298
  • Corporate body
  • 1911-1955

Established in 1911, the Pacific Coast Theological Conference was an interdenominational and international body. The purpose of the organization was to promote discussion of vital theological questions by drawing leaders of religious thought on the Pacific Coast from British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. It was also believed that the conferences should encourage fraternal relations between Canada and United States and among the different denominations participating in them. The series of conferences was inaugurated by two British scholars, James Stalker, professor of Church History in Aberdeen, and Rev. Principal Garvie, principal of the Theological faculty of the University of London. The meetings were open to all and the platform meetings were especially designed for the general public. No conferences were held from 1940 to 1950, and activity seems to have ceased after 1955.

Missions to Seamen (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-297
  • Corporate body
  • 1915-

During his holiday in 1835 at Clevedon, an islet in the Bristol Channel, John Ashley, a young clergymen, learned that the people living in the surrounding islets as well as the crew of the fleet off the coast of Wales would greatly appreciate the opportunity to attend a religious service. He determined to devote his life to the men of the sea. In 1837 a Society was formed called the Bristol Mission. In 1845 the name was changed to the Bristol Channel Seamen's Mission with John Ashley as its first chaplain. The cutter "Eirene" was built to visit seagoing vessels. Services were held on board when necessary. In 1856 a preliminary meeting was held in London to form a national society, Missions to Seamen Afloat, at Home and Abroad. Two years later the original Bristol Channel Mission united with the London society to form Missions to Seamen. The society grew around the world into a far-flung;organization. The Missions to Seamen in the Diocese of New Westminster evolved around three branches: Vancouver, North Vancouver and New Westminster. The terms of reference of the Society are: to promote the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafaring persons without distinction of race or nationality in community with the Missions to Seamen, London, England; to provide recreational facilities and sponsor recreational activities in the Diocese; to acquire the rights, title and interest in any real or personal property owned by Missions to Seamen organization, including the property held in trust in its name by the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster; to act in accordance with the principles and received practices of the Anglican Church of Canada and those of the Missions to Seamen of London, England; to raise money for charitable purposes by public and private subscriptions and collections. The members of the Society are: the subscribers to the constitutions and by-laws, persons who made outstanding contributions to the work of Missions to Seamen, and honorary members appointed by the director. Members other than life and honorary members are required to pay an annual subscription. The affairs and property of the Society are administered by a Board of Directors of 12 members. The Bishop of the Diocese is director of the Society ex-officio. The officers elected are: the President, the Vice-president, the Secretary and the Treasurer. The director has the authority to appoint ad-hoc committees to carry out special duties. The director appoints also the Senior Chaplain, Chaplains and Lay Readers in consultation with the Missions to Seamen, London, and after obtaining the approval of the Bishop of the Diocese. In the event of the dissolution of the society, the money or other assets remaining after payment of all creditors have to be delivered to the Diocese of New Westminster to be used for promoting the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafarers. The Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster acknowledges the aims, objectives, and work of the Missions to Seamen of London, England in Canon XXVI. The Synod recognizes the Bishop's right to appoint Chaplains to branches of the Missions to Seamen within the Diocese. In 1913, the Bishop appointed a Committee on Missions to Seamen of four members: two members to be elected by the Synod and two by the Chaplain and Superintendent (31st session of the Synod). The Committee reports annually to the Synod and provides an audited financial statement for each year. The first Seamen Institute was established in Vancouver in 1900 by the Rev. G. Fiennes Clinton, close to St. James' Church on Gore Avenue, Vancouver. In 1904 the establishment became part of the Missions to Seamen Society. Three women's auxiliary groups - the Harbour Light Guild, the Senior Lightkeepers, and the Watch Ashore - arranged social activities and raised money for sailors coming from around the world. The North Vancouver Missions to Seamen branch began with a project in 1934 when the St. John's Men Club was looking for a suitable project to provide a shelter for sailors who spent some hours of leave on the shore. Under the leadership of Canon H.P. Barrette, the Mission became a reality early in 1935. It was incorporated under the Societies Act and authorized by headquarters in London to fly the house flag well known to sailors everywhere as the "Flying Angel". The interest for a Missions to Seamen branch in New Westminster was aroused in 1928 among the members of Holy Trinity Men's Club as a response to the ever-increasing number of seamen visiting the port. A Seamen's Clubroom was opened. In May 1929 the link with Missions to Seamen headquarters was established and the "Flying Angel" international symbol and emblem was flown over the club. The parish of Holy Trinity Cathedral offered substantial support to Missions to Seamen in New Westminster by offering rent free location to the quarters of the organization.

Results 91 to 100 of 137