- Entidade coletiva
On November 10, 1911, a meeting was held in a private home, with five laymen and the rector of All Saints, Burnaby, the Rev. H.C.L. Hooper, attending. So began what was to become the parish of St. Nicolas, Burnaby to serve the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby. After several more meetings, it was decided to organize a mission parish, with the rector of All Saints in charge. Services were held in a store and a school until the church was completed in July 1912. By October of that year a resident clergyman, the Rev. B. Davies-Moore, was appointed. During the 1920's a parish hall was built, the church was put on a cement foundation and the parish became self-supporting, although the parish was burdened by ongoing debt. The parish survived the depression and was able to add to the church fabric during the 1940's. By 1951, the parish was able to burn the mortgage, becoming debt free. At this same time, the hall was raised and a basement added, with no debt incurred. Following a building programme beginning in 1961, the enlarged church building was dedicated by Bishop Gower on September 17 of that year. The parish incorporated on June 15, 1962 and given the corporate name of "The Parish of St. Nicolas". Titles to parish properties were then transferred from the diocese to the newly incorporated parish. The by-laws were amended in 1974. With the assistance of monies from an estate, St. Nicolas built a new rectory in 1969, which was blessed on Nov. 30. From 1931 to 1950, St. Nicolas shared an incumbent with St. Margaret of Scotland, also in Burnaby. From 1950 to 1998 three rectors served St. Nicolas, alone. Changing ministry needs in the area resulted in the parish being served by an interim priest-in-charge from 1999 together with Christ the King, Burnaby. The joint group was worshipping in the St. Nicolas church building from 1997-2003. The joint group is now known as the parish of St. Timothy.