The earliest church in Cariboo, St. Mary the Virgin Church opened in Lillooet in 1861. For many years it formed a part of the larger Lytton Mission. By 1919 a resident clergyman had been stationed there having responsibility for Clinton and the southern Chilcotin district as well. In 1929 Clinton and the surrounding district was set apart as the Bonaparte Mission District. Also by 1929 the communities Bridge River and Pemberton (within the boundaries of the Diocese of New Westminster, transferred there in 1936) had been added while Bralorne, Goldbridge, Pavilion, Pioneer Mine and others were added during the 1930's. Around 1937 the Goldbridge Mission was formed which removed Goldbridge, Bralorne, Minto and Pioneer from the care of Lillooet parish. By 1947 Lillooet was included in the ministry of the Lytton White Mission. Around 1960 it was reformed as a parish including the communities in the former Goldbridge Mission. By 1972 the mining community of Bralorne had closed and the church at Lillooet was sold. After being revived as a congregation in 1975, the Lillooet congregation was eventually included again in the Lytton White Mission (or St. Barnabas, Lytton). Since about 1988 a shared ministry has been conducted with the United Church of Canada.
See Guide # 224.01
Includes: Bralorne, Bridger River, Clinton, Lone Butte, Pavilion, Pemberton, Pioneer Mine, Steon Lake, Shalath, Watson Bar