Affichage de 1507 résultats

Authority record

St. Paul's Cathedral Parish (Kamloops, B.C.)

  • A-223
  • Collectivité
  • 1884-

St. Paul's began as the headquarters of the Kamloops Missionary District which was established in 1884. This field of activity included all points south of Kamloops to the international boundary and east to the Rocky Mountains, as well as Ashcroft and the Nicola Valley. By 1892 the Kamloops Missionary District had been divided, creating four new missions: Ashcroft and Nicola; the Okanagan Missionary District, including Enderby, Vernon and Penticton; Donald and Golden Missionary District; and Kootenay (or Nelson) Missionary District. By 1917, with the removal of the Thompson River Mission into a separate pastoral responsibility, St. Paul's became a single congregation urban parish. In 1935 Bishop George Wells designated Kamloops the See City and St. Paul's Church the Cathedral. St. Paul's was also responsible for services at St. Peter's, Monte Creek from 1966 until the mid-1970's.

St. Mary the Virgin Parish (Lillooet, B.C.)

  • A-224
  • Collectivité
  • 1860-

The earliest church in Cariboo, St. Mary the Virgin Church opened in Lillooet in 1861. For many years it formed a part of the larger Lytton Mission. By 1919 a resident clergyman has been stationed there having responsibility for Clintonand the southern Chilcoten district as well. In 1929 Clinton and surrounding district was set apart as the Bonaparte Mission District. Also by 1929 the communities of Bridge River and Pemberton had been added while Bralorne, Goldbridge, Pavilion, Pioneer Mine and others were added during the 1930's. In 1936 Pemberton was transferred to the Diocese of New Westminster as the church was actually located within the boundaries of that diocese. Around 1937 the Goldbridge Mission was formed which removed Goldbridge, Bralorne, Minto and Pioneer from the care of Lillooet. Bu 1947 Lillooett was included in the ministry of the Lytton White Missio, and around 1960 it was re-formed as a parish including the communities in the former Goldbridge Mission. By 1972 the mining community of Bralorne had closedand the church at Lillooet was sold. After being revived as a congregation in 1975, the congregation was eventually included again in the Lytton Mission. Since 1988 a shared ministry has existed with the United Church of Canada.

St. Mary's Parish (Lillooet B.C.) fonds

  • A-224.01
  • Collectivité
  • 1860-

The earliest church in Cariboo, St. Mary the Virgin Church opened in Lillooet in 1861. For many years it formed a part of the larger Lytton Mission. By 1919 a resident clergyman had been stationed there having responsibility for Clinton and the southern Chilcotin district as well. In 1929 Clinton and the surrounding district was set apart as the Bonaparte Mission District. Also by 1929 the communities Bridge River and Pemberton (within the boundaries of the Diocese of New Westminster, transferred there in 1936) had been added while Bralorne, Goldbridge, Pavilion, Pioneer Mine and others were added during the 1930's. Around 1937 the Goldbridge Mission was formed which removed Goldbridge, Bralorne, Minto and Pioneer from the care of Lillooet parish. By 1947 Lillooet was included in the ministry of the Lytton White Mission. Around 1960 it was reformed as a parish including the communities in the former Goldbridge Mission. By 1972 the mining community of Bralorne had closed and the church at Lillooet was sold. After being revived as a congregation in 1975, the Lillooet congregation was eventually included again in the Lytton White Mission (or St. Barnabas, Lytton). Since about 1988 a shared ministry has been conducted with the United Church of Canada.

See Guide # 224.01

Includes: Bralorne, Bridger River, Clinton, Lone Butte, Pavilion, Pemberton, Pioneer Mine, Steon Lake, Shalath, Watson Bar

Lytton Indian Mission (Lytton, B.C.)

  • A-225
  • Collectivité
  • 1867-

Established by missionary John Booth Good in 1867, the Lytton Mission initially served both Indians and whites. The mission's extent until the 1910's included the Fraser River valley from Spuzzum to Lillooet, the Thompson River valley from Lytton to Ashcroft, and the Nicola Valley. Shulus and Lillooet were created into separate parishes by 1920. Separate white and Indian congregations were established in the parish and in 1934 the mission was divided into the Lytton Indian Mission, centred at the Church of St. Mary and St. Paul in Lytton, and the Lytton White Mission, centred at St. Barnabas Church, Lytton. Since then, periodically, the parishes have been united under the ministry of one priest. Currently the mission includes St. George, 2 Mile; St. Andrew, Boothroyd; Holy Trinity, Kanaka Bar; St. Thomas, 30 Mile House; St. Gabriel, Nitlickpam; and congregations at Nicomen, N'Kyia and 25 Mile. Churches no longer represented include St. Augustine, Nyshakup; St. David, Staiyn; Christ Church, Spuzzum; and St. Giles, Inkahtsaph.

St. Barnabas' Parish (Lytton, B.C.)

  • A-226
  • Collectivité
  • 1867-

Established in 1867, the Lytton Mission originally included both white and indian congregations. St. Barnabas, Lytton was the centre of the white mission, and was, at different points in its history, combined with the Church of St. Mary and St. Paul, which was the centre of the indian mission.

At different points in its history, the white mission has included: St. Michael and All Angels, North Bend; St. Mary the Virgin, Lillooet; and St. Peter's, Boston Bar.

St. Michael's Parish (Merritt, B.C.)

  • A-227
  • Collectivité
  • 1907-

Established in 1907, St. Michael's Merritt was combined with St. John's, Nicola and CAnford into one parish in 1914. Other points served have included Brookemere, Mamette Lake and Spences Bridge. Since 1986 Merritt and Shulus have been combined into the Nicola Valley Pastoral Zone, a venture in a joint pastoral ministry. It continues to operate as a separate parish.

North Thompson Mission (B.C.)

  • A-229
  • Collectivité
  • 1915-1984

Originally called the Kamloops Missions and served with St. Paul's, Kamloops, the name was changed to the Thompson River Mission in 1917. The mission at one time embraced more than twenty-five small communities in the environs of Kamloops and the North Thompson River valley. Churches were built and dedicated ca. 1915 at Savona (St. Hilda) and at Goose Lake (St. Peter). In 1927 St. George's Church was opened in North Kamloops. From about 1930 to 1935 the mission was divided into north and south districts. In 1936, St. George's, North Kamloops was separated into a new parish embracing the southern points while the Thompson River Mission continued as the North Thompson Mission. The two parishes were united from about 1942 to 1956. Currently the North Thompson Mission includes four congregations: Church of the Redeemer, Barriere; Church of St. John and St. Paul, Birch Island; Cahilty; and St. Stephen's, Little Fort.

St. Timothy's Parish (100 Mile House, B.C.)

  • A-230
  • Collectivité
  • 1959-

Anglican activity began as early as the 1930's in 100 Mile House as a point served by the Williams Lake and Chilcotin Mission. By 1940 it was being served from Clinton and, then Ashcroft, after Clinton was combined with Ashcroft around 1950. In the early 1960's 100 Mile House became the centre of the new 100 Mile House Mission (also called Cariboo Lakes Mission). Around 1975 St. Christopher, Clinton was added to the parish. By 1985 Clinton was being served from Ashcroft again. Currently, 100 Mile House includes congregations at 70 Mile House and 140 Mile House.

St. Michael and All Angels' Parish (Prince George, B.C.)

  • A-232
  • Collectivité
  • 1911-

Two churches were established, St. George at Fort George and St. Stephen at South Fort George by the missionary team from St. John the Divine, Kennington, England in 1911. The former closed in 1916 and the latter in 1919. A third church, St. Michael and All Angels, was also established in Prince George in 1914 which has continued to the present. Currently a single congregation parish, various smaller outlying communities have also been served from St. Michael and All Angels', including Giscome, Willow River, Woodpecker and others.

Résultats 21 à 30 sur 1507