Early Protestant activity in the South Vancouver or North Arm area began on an ecumenical basis in the form of a Union church which was built in the late 1870's on the south side of the North Arm of the Fraser River. By the 1890's Anglicans were being served from St. James' Parish and in 1894 St. Luke's Church (contemporary sources call it St. Mary's) opened as the first Anglican church in South Vancouver. From 1896 to 1907, St. Luke's was included in a variety of arrangements. It was served from St. Michael's from 1896 to 1900, then paired with St. John the Evangelist, North Vancouver until 1901, then attached to the newly created Howe Sound Mission (Squamish and Gibsons Landing) until 1905, and then paired again with St. Michael's. The parish received the first incumbent of their own in 1907. In 1991 St. Luke's Parish merged with the parish of the Church of the Good Shepherd, Vancouver. In the late 1990's the parish began to worship with St. Matthias, Vancouver thus creating the parish of St. Matthias & St. Luke, though the parishes did not formally merge.