Affichage de 137 résultats

Authority record

St. Margaret of Scotland Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-334
  • Collectivité
  • 1928-

First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.

St. Nicolas' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-335
  • Collectivité
  • 1911-1999

On November 10, 1911, a meeting was held in a private home, with five laymen and the rector of All Saints, Burnaby, the Rev. H.C.L. Hooper, attending. So began what was to become the parish of St. Nicolas, Burnaby to serve the Capitol Hill area of North Burnaby. After several more meetings, it was decided to organize a mission parish, with the rector of All Saints in charge. Services were held in a store and a school until the church was completed in July 1912. By October of that year a resident clergyman, the Rev. B. Davies-Moore, was appointed. During the 1920's a parish hall was built, the church was put on a cement foundation and the parish became self-supporting, although the parish was burdened by ongoing debt. The parish survived the depression and was able to add to the church fabric during the 1940's. By 1951, the parish was able to burn the mortgage, becoming debt free. At this same time, the hall was raised and a basement added, with no debt incurred. Following a building programme beginning in 1961, the enlarged church building was dedicated by Bishop Gower on September 17 of that year. The parish incorporated on June 15, 1962 and given the corporate name of "The Parish of St. Nicolas". Titles to parish properties were then transferred from the diocese to the newly incorporated parish. The by-laws were amended in 1974. With the assistance of monies from an estate, St. Nicolas built a new rectory in 1969, which was blessed on Nov. 30. From 1931 to 1950, St. Nicolas shared an incumbent with St. Margaret of Scotland, also in Burnaby. From 1950 to 1998 three rectors served St. Nicolas, alone. Changing ministry needs in the area resulted in the parish being served by an interim priest-in-charge from 1999 together with Christ the King, Burnaby. The joint group was worshipping in the St. Nicolas church building from 1997-2003. The joint group is now known as the parish of St. Timothy.

St. Stephen's Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-336
  • Collectivité
  • 1913-

An early service of what became St. Stephen's, Burquitlam [later Burnaby] was held in "Seven Gables" the Wiltshire family home, with the Rev. F.V. Venables, then in charge of St. John, Port Moody officiating. Earlier, the Union Church had been used and later services were held in the "Little Red Schoolhouse" until the St. Stephen's church building, dedicated September 28, 1913, was completed on land donated, in trust, to the diocese. This building was enlarged and renovated in 1958 to better serve parish needs. Activities were held in an agricultural hall until the parish hall was completed in 1931. Over the years this building was up-dated, with a fund raising campaign for major renovations to begin in 1981. Before this could happen, the old hall was destroyed by arson. The area was changing and pressure to sell and move elsewhere were made by land developers, but the parish decided to remain in place. Following hard work by the parish, insurance funds were eventually released and with other funds a new hall was built and other improvements to the grounds were made. This new hall was dedicated in September 1984. The first rectory was purchased in 1952, being replaced by a new house in 1960. In 1984, this, too, was sold. The parish was incorporated in 1991, becoming the "Parish of St. Stephen the Martyr, Burnaby" after which the parish bought adjoining property on Cameron Street. A series of students served the parish until 1928, alone and for two years with the Rev. Frank Plaskett [1918-1944]. Both Plaskett and the Rev. John Wilson [1944-1953], were rectors of St. Mary, Sapperton as well as St. Stephen's. The parish has been served as a separate parish since 1953. In 1991, the parish was ministered to by a half-time interim priest-in-charge, moving to a 3/4 time position by 1994. A full time incumbent was inducted into the parish in February 1999. By April, illness forced her to leave and the parish was served by an interim again, until July 2001, when another full time rector was inducted.

St. John the Baptist Parish (Sardis, Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-338
  • Collectivité
  • 1911-

The parish of St. John the Baptist, Sardis was established in 1911 after being separated from St. Thomas, Chilliwack. The parish was associated with St. Peter's, Rosedale from 1920 to 1963. From 1971 to 1986, St. John's was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish, a team ministry parish. Since 1987 it has continued as a separate parish.

St. Peter's Parish (Rosedale, Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-339
  • Collectivité
  • 1912-2009

Rosedale was part of a district that also included East Chilliwack and Camp Slough. First services were conducted in the area by the minister of St. Thomas, Chilliwack in August 1911. Later that year a group of St. Thomas' parishioners, with people from the three communities, met and decided that a separate church was needed in Rosedale. With a $4,000.00 grant from St. Thomas, the Rev. E.M. Searles (1912-1917) was hired as the first incumbent, proving to be one of only a few priests to serve St. Peter's as a separate parish. The other periods that St. Peter's was served as an independent parish were from 1921 to 1922 and from 1987 to 1992. The parish was ministered together with St. Thomas, Chilliwack (1917-1918), All Saints, Agassiz (1918-1921, 1963-1971 and 1987 to the present) and St. John, Sardis (1923-1963), latterly only on an interim part-time basis. The parish was part of the Fraser-Cheam Area Parish from 1971 to 1986. The church building was constructed on an acre of land purchased for the purpose, and was dedicated by the bishop in September 1912. A vicarage was erected on the same site, and by January 1913 was ready for occupancy. This home was later demolished. In 1962, a recreation hall, a small kitchen, meeting room and church office were built and connected to the church by a large foyer. In December of 2007, the parish requested from the bishop to cease functions and was closed.

St. Thomas' Parish (Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-340
  • Collectivité
  • 1873-

Established in 1873, St. Thomas' Church had been moved from its original location at Port Douglas where it had been erected in 1862 with the name St. Mark. From 1971 to 1987, St. Thomas was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish, a team ministry parish.

All Saints' Parish (Ladner, Delta, B.C.)

  • A-341
  • Collectivité
  • 1881-

Bishop A. W. Sillitoe, the first bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, made his first "parish" visit upon arriving in his diocese, to the Fraser River settlement of Ladner's Landing, also known as Trennant. Impressed by the efforts of the people to meet him there, he offered to match funds raised by local Anglicans to build a church and pay a clergyman. As a result of the bishop's offer a Church Committee was formed: it met, with the bishop present on August 24, 1880. Land was donated and funds were raised and by 1881, a deacon, The Rev. William Bell, was appointed to serve Trennant, as the parish was initially named. At that time, the Trennant parish included all of Delta, Richmond and Surrey. Currently, the parish serves the Ladner area of Richmond. Mr. Bell served the parish until 1885. For the next eight years the parish was served by a number of Priests-in-charge , as well as two vicars. The parish shared an incumbant with St. David, Delta from 1953 to 1960. The first church building was completed by November 1881, a rectory was built a few years later, and a church hall was erected in 1923. As parish needs changed, parish building needs were reconsidered. A replacement rectory was completed and occupied in 1964 and a new church hall was built in 1978. An extensive fund-raising campaign was undertaken in the early 1980's to pay for needed renovations to the original, then 103 year old, building. The plan was to double the seating capacity while preserving the heritage value of the original building. The "old" building was moved 100 feet to allow for this. The first service in the reconstructed church was held on May 26, 1985.

St. David's Parish (Delta, Tsawassen, B.C.)

  • A-341a
  • Collectivité
  • 1948-

The first service of what would become the parish of St. David was held in the Boundary Bay School on July 12, 1908. The Rev. Bartlett of All Saints, Ladner Officiated. The congregation numbered 48. Sunday School was started in September of 1908 and was attended by many families who came for miles on foot or buggy. Services were held once or twice a month on Sunday afternoons. By 1948 a meeting was held to regard opinions for building a church. Those present were all in favour and a fund was started. In October of 1951, a lot was purchased. The Patron Saint of WAles, St. David was chosen out of deference to Rev. Evans, a Welshman who had worked hard to manifest the vision of the church. Most of the building was done with volunteer labour. The sod was turned June 4th, 1953 and the first service was held May, 1954 in the unfinished church, with the congregation seated on benches. Bishop Gower dedicated the first section in November, 1955. St. David's remained part of the parish of All Saints until 1956.

Expansion of the area took place in the 1960's and the original land was sold to a developer. A new building was planned and sod was turned MArch 22, 1970. The building was consecrated Epiphany Sunday, 1971.

Skookum Chuck Mission (Egmont, B.C.)

  • A-342
  • Collectivité
  • 1926-1928

The Skookum Chuck Mission was opened in 1926. Egmont was chosen as the headquarters of a mission area which extended from Gibsons Landing to Pender Harbour. In 1928 the mission was divided with the priest continuing in the southern portion, centred at Gibsons Landing. The northern portion was placed in the responsibility of the Columbia Coast Mission.

St. Bartholomew with St. Aidan, Roberts Creek Parish (Gibsons, B.C.)

  • A-343
  • Collectivité
  • 1927-

In 1987, The Parish of St. Aidan and St. Bartholomew, Gibsons was created, to minister to the area formerly served as the separate parishes of St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons and St. Aidan, Roberts Creek, both served from Gibsons. The new parish was formally incorporated under the name on May 31, 1993. Initially, services were held mainly in St. Bartholomew's and occasionally in St. Aidan's. The St. Aidan's church building was secularized in March 1991, after which all services were held in the St. Bartholomew building. St. Bartholomew's celebrated the 100th anniversary of their building in 1992. The original church is a framed cedar shingled building with a bell tower and several memorial stained glass windows. In 1988, a new, 2,6000 sq. ft. parish hall, containing a stage, meeting rooms, modern offices, a kitchen, storage and wash rooms was completed. This new building is connected to the original church building by a spacious common narthex. Proceeds from the sale of land at Highway 101 and Park Avenue helped to finance the hall project and provided additional funds for future building needs. The parish became self-supporting in 1992 and in 1993 undertook an ambitious programme to raise funds to enlarge their buildings to provide space for additional ministry initiatives. Part of this plan involved professional child care as a means of parish outreach into the community. The Nine-Three-Seven Childcare Society was registered to facilitate the development and on-going management of this programme. At the same time, the parish was also considering the best use of the property resources of the former St. Aidan's property in Roberts Creek.

Résultats 41 à 50 sur 137