Mostrando 137 resultados

Authority record
Entidade coletiva

Anglican Provincial Synod of British Columbia and Yukon

  • A-1
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1914-

The organization of the Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia, that had begun with a single diocese with only few parishes, was complete by 1914. Four Dioceses had been established with the prospect of a fifth. The body having the authority over the setting of the Dioceses, diocesan boundaries, and the election of the Metropolitan is the Provincial Synod. The Synod meets regularly every third year not being the year in which there is a regular meeting of General Synod. The time and place are to be decided by the Metropolitan in consultation with the Prolocutor. The reports of the meetings, as adopted starting with the first session (February 18th, 1914, Victoria, B.C.) are recorded in the Journal of the Proceedings of the Ecclesiastical Province of B.C. The matters discussed include the change of the existing boundaries of Dioceses, the appointment of various Committees, reports of these Committees, amendments and revisions to the Constitution and Canons of the Provincial Synod, matters relating to religious education in the church, financial reports, funding issues.

St. Barnabas' Parish (Lytton, B.C.)

  • A-226
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1867-

Established in 1867, the Lytton Mission originally included both white and indian congregations. St. Barnabas, Lytton was the centre of the white mission, and was, at different points in its history, combined with the Church of St. Mary and St. Paul, which was the centre of the indian mission.

At different points in its history, the white mission has included: St. Michael and All Angels, North Bend; St. Mary the Virgin, Lillooet; and St. Peter's, Boston Bar.

Lytton Indian Mission (Lytton, B.C.)

  • A-225
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1867-

Established by missionary John Booth Good in 1867, the Lytton Mission initially served both Indians and whites. The mission's extent until the 1910's included the Fraser River valley from Spuzzum to Lillooet, the Thompson River valley from Lytton to Ashcroft, and the Nicola Valley. Shulus and Lillooet were created into separate parishes by 1920. Separate white and Indian congregations were established in the parish and in 1934 the mission was divided into the Lytton Indian Mission, centred at the Church of St. Mary and St. Paul in Lytton, and the Lytton White Mission, centred at St. Barnabas Church, Lytton. Since then, periodically, the parishes have been united under the ministry of one priest. Currently the mission includes St. George, 2 Mile; St. Andrew, Boothroyd; Holy Trinity, Kanaka Bar; St. Thomas, 30 Mile House; St. Gabriel, Nitlickpam; and congregations at Nicomen, N'Kyia and 25 Mile. Churches no longer represented include St. Augustine, Nyshakup; St. David, Staiyn; Christ Church, Spuzzum; and St. Giles, Inkahtsaph.

St. Alban's Parish (Ashcroft, B.C.)

  • A-219.01
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1891-

St. Alban's Church opened in 1891. Ashcroft was established as a separate parish by 1892, having previously been a part of the Kamloops Missionary District. Initially the parish included Nicola, Clinton and Revelstoke in its ministry. Around 1896 Revelstoke was made into a separate charge. The parish has embraced various other communities in its ministry through the years. By 1950 the parishes of Ashcroft and Clinton, with associated points, had been joined together. By 1963 they were again separate, although until ca. 1975, when Clinton was transferred to 100 Mile House Mission, they were mostly served by one priest. During the 1970's St. Alban's, Ashcroft also became responsible for the new congregation at Logan Lake and for St. John at the Latin Gate Church, Cornwall and the Toketi congregation which were previously under the Shulus Indian Mission. By 1987 Logan Lake had become a separate ministry while St. Christopher, Clinton had been placed again under Ashcroft. The parish currently includes Cornwall, Toketi and Clinton.

Anglican Church Foundation of the Diocese of New Westminster

  • A-291
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1956-1972

The Anglican Church Foundation of the Diocese of New Westminster was incorporated as a Society in 1956 under the Societies Act of the province of B.C. The objects of this Society were: "To receive bequests, devises and donations of every kind and description...; to promote objects of a religious, charitable and educational character, and in particular but without limiting the generality of the foregoing, to aid in establishing Parishes and Missions, in erecting, maintaining and operating Churches, Church Schools, Parish halls and Parsonages...; to use, devote and apply its assets and income [...] for the promotion and attainment of the aforesaid purposes..." The foundation was administered by a Board of Directors and trustees with Bishop Gower as chair ex-officio. The members, not more than 12 laymen, were elected by the Executive Committee of the Synod of the Diocese. The positions of secretary and treasurer could be held by one and the same person. The principal and registered office was located in Vancouver, B.C. The society was dissolved in 1972.

All Hallows' School (Yale, B.C.)

  • A-290
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1885-1920

All Hallows began in 1854 at Shipmeadow, England, as a penitentiary designed to look after what were known as "fallen women". An active religious community of Sisters was formed at All Hallows to run a hospital, a school for girls, as well as to look after visitors coming there for a time of retreat from the affairs of the world. The Sisters moved to Ditchingam, Norfolk and built themselves a monastery in which to live and work. In 1881 Bishop Sillitoe sent out a call to England for assistance in his work with the native Indian population. The response came from All Hallows community in Ditchingam. Three sisters arrived in Yale in 1884, using the parsonage adjoining St. John's Church as a school for Indian girls. The year after they moved the school into the abandoned C.P.R. hospital. Following negotiations initiated by Bishop Sillitoe, a new school was built in 1888. Given the high quality of the education prevailing in the school, families in New Westminster and other parts of B.C., where at that time no advanced educational facilities existed, began to seek admission for their daughters. In 1890, another wing was added to take care of the white girl's needs. Further additions were made in 1908 and 1909, the peak years of the school's history. The fee for entrance into the white girl's part of the school was $5, with board and education costing $30 a month; piano instruction was $5; violin and painting $5 a month. The school possessed spacious playing grounds, with two tennis courts, a basketball court, hockey and croquet grounds. Sister Amy occupied the position of Sister Superior for many years. She was followed by sister Constance and others, including Sister Althea, Agatha, Alice, and Marion. Sisters of All Hallows planned also to replace the Ondernok chapel, that had been build as a stable, with a new chapel built of stone. A fund of $5000 was raised for this purpose, but the school closed its doors in 1916, before enough money was raised. The money was used later to equip the chapel at St. George's Indian School at Lytton, and lift the mortgage from the Japanese Mission in Vancouver. The Sisters returned to England in 1920.

Anglican Church Women. Diocese of New Westminster Board

  • A-292
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1904-

The Woman's Auxiliary of the Diocese of New Westminster was organized in 1904 as the New Westminster Branch of the Woman's Auxiliary to the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada. Before the establishment of the first Diocesan Woman's Auxiliary Board, there were five branches in existence in the Diocese. Until 1947, the Woman's Auxiliary Board was auxiliary to the Missionary Society. In 1947, it became auxiliary to the whole of the Anglican Church of Canada (then called the Church of England in Canada). Following proposed amendments to the Constitution (June 1963), the society changed its name to "Woman's Auxiliary of the Anglican Church of Canada, Diocese of New Westminster" (1966). The role of the Woman's Auxiliary includes: the supporting of missionaries, fundraising for charities, direct involvement for charitable programs (such as clothing for arctic communities), and the running of Christian children's groups (similar to Girl Guides). In the 1960's and 1970's, missions work scaled back, and the children's groups were disbanded. Involvement in charities and social issues still continues, as well as interest in feminist issues. As mentioned in the 1963 constitution, the Woman's Auxiliary Board also assist the parishes "to enlist the interest and active participation of women and girls in the missionary, educational and social work of the Church". The Diocesan divisions of the Woman's Auxiliary were initially represented by a national board. This body was replaced in 1973/1974 by the national Women's Unit, which was integrated into the national church as a whole. The National Women's Unit was disbanded in the early 1990, leaving Diocesan divisions to manage their own inter-divisional co-ordination. Within the administrative structure of the Diocese of New Westminster, the Woman's Auxiliary has its own board, and functions with a certain degree of independence. It does, however, report to the Diocesan Programme Committee and it must report annually to the Diocesan Synod. The board is composed of the Directors (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer), chairs of standing committees and other elected officers. The Diocesan Woman's Auxiliary board co-ordinates, to a limited degree, the parish Women's Auxiliary groups. The latter are grouped in six geographical areas. Diocesan-level meetings are held in these areas on a rotational basis. Monthly area meetings were originally held separately from the monthly general meetings, but the two were combined in the early 1990.

St. Paul's Parish (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-394
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1889-

The first Anglican service in what was to become the present-day Parish of St. Paul’s was held in 1889 in a mission room located on Seymour Street. Meanwhile, two lots were purchased from the Canadian Pacific Railway on Hornby Street where the Marriott Hotel now stands. A church was built and the first Eucharist in the parish was celebrated there on March 24, 1889. The parish included the downtown peninsula south of Nelson Street, and Fairview on the south side of False Creek. This proved unsatisfactory to parishioners living in Fairview and in 1898, they separated to form the Parish of Holy Trinity, which meant that the church was no longer at the geographical centre of the parish. At the same time, the West End was being developed as a residential district, while Yaletown was given over principally to industry. In 1898 the parish church was placed on skids and winched up Davie Street, then only a clearing in the bush. The building was placed on Jervis Street at the corner of Pendrell Street. The new location was presumably more convenient, but the 250 square-metre church was too small for the expanding membership. So in 1903, the building was moved again, this time to the adjoining lot on Jervis Street, leaving the original lot for a new building. (It was also re-aligned through 90 degrees.)

To build a new, permanent church, St Paul’s Church Building Company Ltd. was founded with a capital of $50,000. The architect William Archer proposed either a frame-and-stone building seating 420 worshippers at a price of $8,000 or a stone building seating some 550 worshippers at a price of $18,000. The former proposal was adopted. The style of the resulting church is classic Gothic with many beautiful stained glass windows, dark wood beams, and wainscoting. Archer’s plan included a tower with a tall spire at the north-west corner, but lack of funds prevented its construction.

Building commenced in 1904. In 1905, the cornerstone of the existing church was laid by the Bishop of New Westminster at that time, and the church was finished ready for use that same year. Now, fourteen years into its independent life, the parish was fully ready to play its role in the life of the West End. he new and old churches stood alongside each other. The old church was used as a church hall. Nothing of it now remains except the Bagnall Window, which was taken from the old church and set in the west wall of the new church. In 1976, the City of Vancouver designated the new church a heritage building. As such, it cannot be torn down and the integrity of its design cannot be altered.

St. James' Parish (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-386
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1881-

St. James' Church (Anglican) was the first permanent church established in what is now Vancouver.
It was originally built in May of 1881, west of Westminster Avenue (now Main Street) and north of Alexander Street. This building was destroyed in the fire of 1886, and a new church was constructed at Gore Avenue and Oppenheimer Street (now Cordova Street). St. Agatha's Chapel was added to the structure in 1887, and the church was further enlarged in 1900. This second church building was torn down in 1935 and was replaced by a new structure in 1936.
From its beginnings, the church was involved in many social service activties, such as service guilds, schools, and St. Luke's Home, one of Vancouver's first hospitals (later becoming a home for the elderly).

St. Mark's Parish (Kitsilano, Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-390
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1907-

St. Mark's Chapel began in Kitsilano on 1st Ave and Maple Street in August of 1907, as a mission of Holy Trinity Parish, Vancouver. The Rev. William Tuson of Sacramentio, California was given special license to be Priest-in-Charge. The building of the church was a semi-personal endeavor of the Rev. Tuson, and the original church consisted of the church upstairs and vestry/hall downstairs. The parish moved to Larch and 2nd avenue in 1909, and finally erected a parish hall at 2473 2nd Ave in 1913. The ground was broken for a new church in 1961 and the new church at 1805 Larch street was dedicated in April of 1963 and later consecrated in 1979.

Resultados 41 a 50 de 137