Affichage de 1507 résultats

Authority record

Missions to Seamen (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-297
  • Collectivité
  • 1915-

During his holiday in 1835 at Clevedon, an islet in the Bristol Channel, John Ashley, a young clergymen, learned that the people living in the surrounding islets as well as the crew of the fleet off the coast of Wales would greatly appreciate the opportunity to attend a religious service. He determined to devote his life to the men of the sea. In 1837 a Society was formed called the Bristol Mission. In 1845 the name was changed to the Bristol Channel Seamen's Mission with John Ashley as its first chaplain. The cutter "Eirene" was built to visit seagoing vessels. Services were held on board when necessary. In 1856 a preliminary meeting was held in London to form a national society, Missions to Seamen Afloat, at Home and Abroad. Two years later the original Bristol Channel Mission united with the London society to form Missions to Seamen. The society grew around the world into a far-flung;organization. The Missions to Seamen in the Diocese of New Westminster evolved around three branches: Vancouver, North Vancouver and New Westminster. The terms of reference of the Society are: to promote the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafaring persons without distinction of race or nationality in community with the Missions to Seamen, London, England; to provide recreational facilities and sponsor recreational activities in the Diocese; to acquire the rights, title and interest in any real or personal property owned by Missions to Seamen organization, including the property held in trust in its name by the Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster; to act in accordance with the principles and received practices of the Anglican Church of Canada and those of the Missions to Seamen of London, England; to raise money for charitable purposes by public and private subscriptions and collections. The members of the Society are: the subscribers to the constitutions and by-laws, persons who made outstanding contributions to the work of Missions to Seamen, and honorary members appointed by the director. Members other than life and honorary members are required to pay an annual subscription. The affairs and property of the Society are administered by a Board of Directors of 12 members. The Bishop of the Diocese is director of the Society ex-officio. The officers elected are: the President, the Vice-president, the Secretary and the Treasurer. The director has the authority to appoint ad-hoc committees to carry out special duties. The director appoints also the Senior Chaplain, Chaplains and Lay Readers in consultation with the Missions to Seamen, London, and after obtaining the approval of the Bishop of the Diocese. In the event of the dissolution of the society, the money or other assets remaining after payment of all creditors have to be delivered to the Diocese of New Westminster to be used for promoting the spiritual, moral and physical well-being of seafarers. The Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster acknowledges the aims, objectives, and work of the Missions to Seamen of London, England in Canon XXVI. The Synod recognizes the Bishop's right to appoint Chaplains to branches of the Missions to Seamen within the Diocese. In 1913, the Bishop appointed a Committee on Missions to Seamen of four members: two members to be elected by the Synod and two by the Chaplain and Superintendent (31st session of the Synod). The Committee reports annually to the Synod and provides an audited financial statement for each year. The first Seamen Institute was established in Vancouver in 1900 by the Rev. G. Fiennes Clinton, close to St. James' Church on Gore Avenue, Vancouver. In 1904 the establishment became part of the Missions to Seamen Society. Three women's auxiliary groups - the Harbour Light Guild, the Senior Lightkeepers, and the Watch Ashore - arranged social activities and raised money for sailors coming from around the world. The North Vancouver Missions to Seamen branch began with a project in 1934 when the St. John's Men Club was looking for a suitable project to provide a shelter for sailors who spent some hours of leave on the shore. Under the leadership of Canon H.P. Barrette, the Mission became a reality early in 1935. It was incorporated under the Societies Act and authorized by headquarters in London to fly the house flag well known to sailors everywhere as the "Flying Angel". The interest for a Missions to Seamen branch in New Westminster was aroused in 1928 among the members of Holy Trinity Men's Club as a response to the ever-increasing number of seamen visiting the port. A Seamen's Clubroom was opened. In May 1929 the link with Missions to Seamen headquarters was established and the "Flying Angel" international symbol and emblem was flown over the club. The parish of Holy Trinity Cathedral offered substantial support to Missions to Seamen in New Westminster by offering rent free location to the quarters of the organization.

Pacific Coast Theological Conference (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-298
  • Collectivité
  • 1911-1955

Established in 1911, the Pacific Coast Theological Conference was an interdenominational and international body. The purpose of the organization was to promote discussion of vital theological questions by drawing leaders of religious thought on the Pacific Coast from British Columbia, Washington and Oregon. It was also believed that the conferences should encourage fraternal relations between Canada and United States and among the different denominations participating in them. The series of conferences was inaugurated by two British scholars, James Stalker, professor of Church History in Aberdeen, and Rev. Principal Garvie, principal of the Theological faculty of the University of London. The meetings were open to all and the platform meetings were especially designed for the general public. No conferences were held from 1940 to 1950, and activity seems to have ceased after 1955.

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-299
  • Collectivité
  • 1971-1974

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee was formed in 1971 to counter a decision to demolish the Cathedral and redevelop the site. The tentative plans proposed the construction of a high-rise office block, incorporating a small religious sanctum. The Committee, representing members of the congregation and members of the Anglican community at large, submitted a plan of preservation of the site to the Vancouver City Council. The City Council was asked to ensure the preservation of the building and to support the request of the Committee for a $500,000 endowment fund to be provided by the Diocesan Council. Hugh Crisp Fuller, a parish member, serving as President of the Committee, led the efforts to preserve the Cathedral building.

St. Jude's Anglican Home (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-300
  • Collectivité
  • 1948-

Established in 1948 in Vancouver as a home for elderly women. Since 1978 the scope of care offered by St. Jude's has been extended to long-term care as well as including elderly men.

St. Paul's Church Building Company (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-302
  • Collectivité
  • 1897-

Established in 1893 and incorporated in 1897, St. Paul's Church Building Company Ltd. was formed to provide a building suitable for a church at or near the existent site of St. Paul's Church, on the corner of Pendrell and Jervis St., Vancouver, B.C.; to purchase, take on lease, or otherwise acquire lands, buildings, or property real or personal which may be conveniently used in connection with the objectives of the company; to raise money by subscriptions; to lend and advance money to St. Paul's Church for the purpose of repairing or expanding the building; to maintain property and buildings for St. Paul's Church, Vancouver. The capital of the company was provided by shares

Hambidge, The Most Rev. Douglas Walter

  • A-31
  • Personne
  • 1927-

Seventh Bishop of the Diocese of Caledonia (1969-1981), seventh Archbishop of the Diocese of New Westminster and eighth Metropolitan of the Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia (1981-1993), Douglas Walter Hambidge was born in London, England. Ordained priest in London in 1953, he came to Cassiar, B.C. in 1956 and acted as Rector of All Saints' Church from 1956 to 1958. Bishop Hambidge and his family were prepared to return to England, where the work in a metropolitan parish seemed more challenging, but Bishop Watts persuaded him to try Smithers, B.C. After six busy years in the parish of St. James' in Smithers, the newly-elected Bishop of Caledonia, Eric Munn, asked him to go to Fort St. John, B.C. (1964). The Reverend Douglas Hambidge served the parish of St. Martin's in Fort St. John, and he also became also a radio personality. He had a daily devotional broadcast, "Strength for the Day", and a less conventional open line program where he picked any subject that he felt was an issue and reflected theologically upon it. In 1965, the Reverend Douglas Hambidge became Canon of St. Andrew's Cathedral in Prince Rupert, B.C. (1965). In May 1969, after Bishop Munn had died in California, the Reverend Douglas Hambidge was consecrated as seventh Bishop of Caledonia by Rev. G.P. Gower, Archbishop of the Diocese of New Westminster. In 1970, Bishop Hambidge obtained his D.D. (honoris causa) at the Anglican Theological College in Vancouver, B.C. A married man with three children, Archbishop and Metropolitan Hambidge brought a new, style to the episcopate of British Columbia. Traditional in terms of church structure and authority, he has been less traditional through experiments with lay ministry. Archbishop's Hambidge principal innovation in Caledonia has been " indigenous ministry" - the licensing of people chosen by their communities to be their priests. With Archbishop's approval, a community may choose as its priest someone without formal theological training but with other qualities which make him a desirable leader. This form of ministry was developed specifically for Caledonia under the influence of religious customs and practices of native people. Many of the Caledonia Anglicans were Nishga Indians and Archbishop Hambidge had been made member of the native family called Raven and given the name "Wal'aks", meaning "bearer of the living water". He restructured diocesan responsibilities, issued guidelines on various matters, from confirmation dress to Marriage Commission submissions. He was concerned about the deployment of clergy throughout the province and ways of working more effectively in order to cover the numerous vacancies in remote areas. Although he recognized the quality of Canadian theological training, Archbishop Hambidge made efforts to improve the training of the priests to the reality of ministry and encourage parishes to work together. He was one of the senior Bishops in Canada and very active nationally and internationally as a member of the Anglican Consultative Council. After his retirement, Archbishop Hambidge wanted to offer his skills and help the people of Tanzania. In 1993, he accepted a volunteer position as principal of St. Mark's Theological College in Dar Es Salaam, sponsored through the Anglican Volunteers in Mission program of the Anglican Church of Canada. Coming back to Canada, he retired to Parksville, B.C., later returning to the Diocese of New Westminster. He is currently Chancellor of the Vancouver School of Theology.

Done, Frederick Ernest, 1901-1979

  • A-310
  • Personne

Fred Done was a long-time parishioner at St. Philip's, Vancouver. He was an active member of the Church Committee and deeply involved in Anglican Young People's Association (A.Y.P.A.) activities. The A.Y.P.A branch started at St. Philip's in 1927, with E.W. Dean as president. As a member of the association, E.F. Done did much to promote religious and social fellowship in the parish and to give the young people the opportunity to participate in many aspects of church life. He organized dances, sports, beach and badminton parties, and field trips. As an active member of the Dunbar community he participated in debates that were raised as a consequence of the economic and social development of the Dunbar area. The issues under discussion included: the operation of the street car service by the city, government control and liquor regulations. He was also active in other social events organized by the parish, such as: festival suppers, church concerts, and outdoor activities

Leigh, The Rev. John

  • A-313
  • Personne
  • 1879-1965

The Reverend Canon John Leigh served as a priest in northern Ontario, from 1907 to 1920, and in the Diocese of New Westminster, from 1920 to 1964, with a brief stint at Kamloops in the Diocese of Cariboo, from 1922 to 1926. A passionate reader and researcher, he wrote detailed notes and comments on historical, theological or scientific books. Eager to acquire new skills, he taught himself Ancient Greek in order to read the New Testament in that language. He also had an extensive knowledge of the history of the Church from the early Christian times to the present days, as well as an interest in the history of archeology as a complimentary source illustrating the evolution of the Church in the Western world.

Murphy, Maud, 1902-1988

  • A-314
  • Personne

Maud Murphy, from Tara, Ontario, travelled to the Okanagan Valley, working there with the Sunday School Caravan Mission as driver and mechanic during the summer of 1929.

Sillitoe, Acton Windeyer, 1840-1894 fonds

  • A-316
  • Personne
  • 1840-1934

A. W. Sillitoe was the first Bishop of New Westminster (1879-1894). Born in 1840 at Sydney, Australia, educated at Cambridge, England, chaplain to the British legation at Darmstadt and tutor to the Princess Alice, A.W. Sillitoe was called in the prime of his life (at the age of 39) to organize the Anglican communities on the British Columbia Lower Mainland and the southern interior. His wife, Violet E. Sillitoe, assisted and accompanied him during hard journeys throughout the province and played a vital role for Christianity in the coast's pioneer days. Violet, beloved through the province, died in 1934, in Vancouver

Résultats 41 à 50 sur 1507