Affichage de 1507 résultats

Authority record

Christ the Redeemer Parish (Surrey, B.C.)

  • A-371
  • Collectivité
  • 1885-

Christ the Redeemer parish, as it currently exists, was created in 1973 from the amalgamation of the congregations of Christ Church, Surrey Centre and Church of the REdeemer, Cloverdale. The amalgamated congregation and parish continued to be called Christ Church until 1989 when it was renamed Christ the Redeemer. The two merging congregations, however, had a longer and intertwined history, progressing from a rural parish of farming communities to a suburban parish. Surrey Centre was the point at which parochial work was begun in Surrey in 1881 and where Christ Church was opened in 1884. the parish was coextensive with the municipality of Surrey, which at the time also included White Rock. St. George's, Nicomekl was the second church built in the parish; it opened in 1900 and closed in 1917. In 1911 the parish was divided, resulting in the creation of the new parish of St. Helen's, South Westminster. The parish of Surrey Centre continued to provide services at Nicomekl, Halls Prairie (where St. Matthew's opened in 1913), Kensington Prairie and other points. By 1920 work had also been initiated in White Rock, where Holyd Trinity church opened in 1921. By 1925 two new points had been had been added:Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale (opened in 1925) and the Crescent Union Church (later Church of the Ascension) at Crescent Beach. In 1928 a second division of the parish occurred with White Rock being separated into a new parish together with the Halls Prairie and Crescent congregations. During the 1930's Christ Church, Surrey Centre was served together with the parish of Langley while Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdael was linked up with St. Helen's, South Westminster and the Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations. From the 1940's until 1960 the Surrey Centre, Cloverdale, Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations were grouped together in the the parish of North Surrey (renamed Mid-Surrey in 1959). By 1961 the parish of Mid-Surrey was subdivided into three parishes:Christ Church, Surrey Centre; Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale; and St. Oswald, Port Kells with Church of the Good Shepherd, Latimer Heights. St. Oswald's was linked up with Cloverdale by 1973 and continued as part of the amalgamated parish until 1988 when it received its own incumbent.

St. John the Divine Parish (Squamish, B.C.)

  • A-370
  • Collectivité
  • 1912-

Regular Anglican services began in Squamish in 1912 with the establishment of the parish, which was originally called Newport and Brackendale. Church activities, though, did occur as early as the 1890's and from 1901-1905 Squamish was part of the Howe Sound Mission, which also included Gibsons Landing. The parish has served various other congregations and points in its ministry. Services in Pemberton were begun in the late 1920's in connection with the parish of St. Mary the Virgin, Lillooet in the Diocese of Cariboo. Legally within the bounds of the Diocese of New Westminster, St. George, Pemberton was transferred in 1936 and served from Squamish. It was briefly placed again under the Diocese of Cariboo, from 1962-1964. St. George's closed in 1979. Another point served was Trinity Church, Woodfibre, which opened in 1933 and closed int he early 1970's.

St. Hilda's Parish (Sechelt, B.C.)

  • A-369
  • Collectivité
  • 1964-

The congregations in the parish of Sechelt were originally served by the Columbia Coast Mission and the Skookum Chuck Mission at Egmont. In 1928 the southern section of the Skookum Chuck Mission was separated and worked from St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons. Within this parish, churches were opened at Sechelt (St. Hilda's) and Roberts Creek (St. Aidan's) during the 1930's. St. Hilda's, Sechelt was separated from Gibsons and Roberts Creek in 1964. At the same time, St. Mary's, Garden Bay at Pender Harbour (opened as a Columbia Coast Mission hospital chapel in 1939) and the Church of His Presence, Redroofs at Halfmoon Bay (opened in 1962) were attached to the new parish. These two churches closed in the early 1970's. New work was begun in Madeira Park at Pender Harbour and in 1979 a new church, named St. Andrew's, was dedicated. St. Andrew's was separated from St. Hilda's, Sechelt in 1992.

St. Edward's Parish (Bridgeport, Richmond, B.C.)

  • A-368
  • Collectivité
  • 1952-2012

St. Edward's began as a mission of St. Anne, Steveston in 1952. The parish used a Panabode type L shaped hall for church services and parish activities. The buildings were dedicated October 19, 1952. The parish hall was extended in 1955. A parsonage was built adjacent to but not on the church property in 1960. The parish voted to request closure in April of 2012 and closed the same year.

St. Anne's Parish (Steveston, Richmond, B.C.)

  • A-367a
  • Collectivité
  • 1892-

The first service of St. Anne's Church, Lulu Island was held at 2nd Ave and Georgia Street in Steveston January 3, 1892. There was a great amount of difficulty acquiring a site for the small proposed church. By April of 1897 the parish had succeeded in building a shell of a very fine church, and it was dedicated that year as the last act before the Bishop left for England. The parish was named St. Anne's after the St. Anne's Society of Kemerton, which had aided with the work. The parish had to use "common vessels" for their Eucharists until altar vessels were gifted to the parish in 1900. By 1901 the building had been lined with wood so that services could be held in the church year-round. In 1912 the church was burned by fire. By 1925 the work at St. Augustine, Marpole and St. Anne's had reached the pint where division was thought necessary - as such, St. Augustine became a self-supporting parish. St. Anne's also birthed the parish churches of St. Jerome and St. Alban's Brighouse.

St. Alban's Parish (Brighouse, Richmond, B.C.) fonds

  • A-367
  • Collectivité
  • 1925-

St. Alban's, Richmond was established in Brighouse, Richmond in 1925 as an outstation of the parish of St. Anne's, Steveston. Earlier parochial work had been conducted in the area, an area including the whole of Lulu Island, from St. Anne's, Steveston. Churches included St. Jerome's, opened in 1902 and closed in 1915, and St. Alban's, Eburne, which opened before 1900 and burned down in 1912. Later, St. Thomas' Mission was also opened in East Richmond in 1926 as an extension of the parish. This mission closed during the 1940's. St. Alban's remained associated with St. Anne's, Steveston until it received its own incumbent in 1953.

St. David and St. Paul Parish (Powell River, B.C.)

  • A-366
  • Collectivité
  • 1921-

The parish of St. Paul was organized in 1921; Powell River having previously been served by the Columbia Coast Mission. Other congregations were established at Westview in the early 1930's, later known as St. David's and at Cranberry Lake, called St. Hugh's (inactive by 1973). St. David's, Westview became a separate parish in 1949 and included missions at Grief Point and Lang Bay. In 1980 St. David's and St. Paul's became one parish again.

St. John the Apostle Parish (Port Moody, B.C.)

  • A-365
  • Collectivité
  • 1898-

St. John the Apostle, Port Moody was opened in 1898. Services were begun at Ioco, as another point in the parish by 1921. All Saints', Ioco closed in 1971. Port Moody was also periodically linked with St. Catherine's Port Coquitlam during the 1920's and 1940's.

St. Catherine's Parish (Port Coquitlam, B.C.)

  • A-364
  • Collectivité
  • 1905-

Regular services began in Port Coquitlam in 1905 in connection with the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. A church was opened in 1909 and the parish of St. Catherine, Port Coquitlam was formed in 1911. Until the early 1960's the parish included the Pitt Meadows congregation and during the 1920's and 1940's the parish was also linked with Port Moody and Ioco.

Résultats 51 à 60 sur 1507