Showing 137 results

Authority record
Corporate body

St. Hilda's Parish (Sechelt, B.C.)

  • A-369
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

The congregations in the parish of Sechelt were originally served by the Columbia Coast Mission and the Skookum Chuck Mission at Egmont. In 1928 the southern section of the Skookum Chuck Mission was separated and worked from St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons. Within this parish, churches were opened at Sechelt (St. Hilda's) and Roberts Creek (St. Aidan's) during the 1930's. St. Hilda's, Sechelt was separated from Gibsons and Roberts Creek in 1964. At the same time, St. Mary's, Garden Bay at Pender Harbour (opened as a Columbia Coast Mission hospital chapel in 1939) and the Church of His Presence, Redroofs at Halfmoon Bay (opened in 1962) were attached to the new parish. These two churches closed in the early 1970's. New work was begun in Madeira Park at Pender Harbour and in 1979 a new church, named St. Andrew's, was dedicated. St. Andrew's was separated from St. Hilda's, Sechelt in 1992.

St. Edward's Parish (Bridgeport, Richmond, B.C.)

  • A-368
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-2012

St. Edward's began as a mission of St. Anne, Steveston in 1952. The parish used a Panabode type L shaped hall for church services and parish activities. The buildings were dedicated October 19, 1952. The parish hall was extended in 1955. A parsonage was built adjacent to but not on the church property in 1960. The parish voted to request closure in April of 2012 and closed the same year.

St. Anne's Parish (Steveston, Richmond, B.C.)

  • A-367a
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-

The first service of St. Anne's Church, Lulu Island was held at 2nd Ave and Georgia Street in Steveston January 3, 1892. There was a great amount of difficulty acquiring a site for the small proposed church. By April of 1897 the parish had succeeded in building a shell of a very fine church, and it was dedicated that year as the last act before the Bishop left for England. The parish was named St. Anne's after the St. Anne's Society of Kemerton, which had aided with the work. The parish had to use "common vessels" for their Eucharists until altar vessels were gifted to the parish in 1900. By 1901 the building had been lined with wood so that services could be held in the church year-round. In 1912 the church was burned by fire. By 1925 the work at St. Augustine, Marpole and St. Anne's had reached the pint where division was thought necessary - as such, St. Augustine became a self-supporting parish. St. Anne's also birthed the parish churches of St. Jerome and St. Alban's Brighouse.

St. Alban's Parish (Brighouse, Richmond, B.C.) fonds

  • A-367
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

St. Alban's, Richmond was established in Brighouse, Richmond in 1925 as an outstation of the parish of St. Anne's, Steveston. Earlier parochial work had been conducted in the area, an area including the whole of Lulu Island, from St. Anne's, Steveston. Churches included St. Jerome's, opened in 1902 and closed in 1915, and St. Alban's, Eburne, which opened before 1900 and burned down in 1912. Later, St. Thomas' Mission was also opened in East Richmond in 1926 as an extension of the parish. This mission closed during the 1940's. St. Alban's remained associated with St. Anne's, Steveston until it received its own incumbent in 1953.

St. David and St. Paul Parish (Powell River, B.C.)

  • A-366
  • Corporate body
  • 1921-

The parish of St. Paul was organized in 1921; Powell River having previously been served by the Columbia Coast Mission. Other congregations were established at Westview in the early 1930's, later known as St. David's and at Cranberry Lake, called St. Hugh's (inactive by 1973). St. David's, Westview became a separate parish in 1949 and included missions at Grief Point and Lang Bay. In 1980 St. David's and St. Paul's became one parish again.

St. John the Apostle Parish (Port Moody, B.C.)

  • A-365
  • Corporate body
  • 1898-

St. John the Apostle, Port Moody was opened in 1898. Services were begun at Ioco, as another point in the parish by 1921. All Saints', Ioco closed in 1971. Port Moody was also periodically linked with St. Catherine's Port Coquitlam during the 1920's and 1940's.

St. Catherine's Parish (Port Coquitlam, B.C.)

  • A-364
  • Corporate body
  • 1905-

Regular services began in Port Coquitlam in 1905 in connection with the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. A church was opened in 1909 and the parish of St. Catherine, Port Coquitlam was formed in 1911. Until the early 1960's the parish included the Pitt Meadows congregation and during the 1920's and 1940's the parish was also linked with Port Moody and Ioco.

St. Columba's Parish (Pitt Meadows, Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-363
  • Corporate body
  • 1909
  1. St. Columba's Parish began as Forest Lawn Mission. A church was dedicated to St. Columba in 1957 and the congregation was initially served from St. Andrew's, Burnaby. By 1957 it had been separated as a new parish. In 1964 it was joined with St. Alban's, Burnaby. St. Columba's closed in 1969.

  2. St. Columba's, Pitt Meadows (called Pitt Meadows Anglican Church until 1983) had begun by 1909 originally in connection with St. Catherine, Port Coquitlam. By 1962 the congregation was part of the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. In 1991 St. Columba's became a separate parish.

Results 51 to 60 of 137