- Entidade coletiva
St. George's Church began in 1930 as part of the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. By 1963 it was separated from St. John the Divine Parish.
St. George's Church began in 1930 as part of the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. By 1963 it was separated from St. John the Divine Parish.
The church of St. John the Divine was originally erected at Derby (now in Langley) in 1859, being the first Anglican church erected on the mainland. The church closed in 1860 when the capital of the colony was relocated from Derby. In 1881 parochial activity was resumed in Maple Ridge and Langley with the unused church at Derby relocated to Maple Ridge in 1882. In 1888 the Fraser River Missionary District was formed which included Maple Ridge. Around 1900 Maple Ridge and Whonnock were separated and formed into a separate mission. Whonnock was then joined ca. 1903 to All Saints', Mission until 1912 when it became a separate parish. In 1918 it was united again with Maple Ridge. In 1930 a new church, St. George's, Haney, was opened. The three congregations--the two St. John's and St. George's, remained together until 1963, by which date the parish was divided into St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge and St. George's, Haney with St. John's, Whonnock. By 1962 the Pitt Meadows congregation had also been added to St. John the Divine Parish and remained connected until 1991.
The first Anglican service in New Westminster was held on September 2nd, 1859, in the Custom House. The services moved to larger spaces as the congregation grew. After considerable discussion in the community, land was cleared for a permanent church building. Bishop Hills laid the Corner Stone of the Holy Trinity Church on May 22nd, 1860; by September the same year the building of the church was completed and the first church of Holy Trinity was consecrated by Bishop Hills on December 2nd, 1860. Also in December of that year a grant of a near by lot was made for the erection of a rectory. The original log church was destroyed by fire in September 1865. A second stone church of Holy Trinity was erected and consecrated in 1867. The new church, though lofty, was not particularly attractive, being much too short and wide for its height. In 1879, it was realized that the Diocese of British Columbia was far too vast for one man's supervision. A threefold division took place. Bishop Hills retained Vancouver Island, the Mainland was divided into the Diocese of Caledonia and the Diocese of New Westminster. In 1880 A.W. Sillitoe became first Bishop of New Westminster. He proposed to constitute Holy Trinity Church the Cathedral of the Diocese. In 1892 the Vestry passed a resolution accepting the constitution and ordination of Holy Trinity Church as the Cathedral Church of New Westminster. In 1898, a disastrous fire, which wiped out the greater part of the city of New Westminster, destroyed a second time the church of Holy Trinity. The rebuilding of the Cathedral was carried on from 1898 to 1902. By Easter 1902, the Church building was free of debt and on April 3rd. 1902, the Consecration of the Cathedral took place. On June 19th 1910, the new Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, Adam U. de Pencier, was enthroned in the Holy Trinity Cathedral. In 1912 Bishop de Pencier announced that a fitting Cathedral was to be built in Vancouver and the See House to be removed to the new location. The parish of Holy Trinity was disappointed and challenged the ownership of the See House. It was decided that Holy Trinity would retain the title of Cathedral, although no longer the Cathedral of the Diocese. Subsequently, a canon was passed through Synod conferring this title in perpetuity. The church was repaired and redecorated to mark the 75th Anniversary in 1936. In 1943 a campaign was launched to build a new Parish Hall which would be a memorial to the men who gave their lives in two world wars. The Corner Stone of the Memorial Hall was laid in 1950 by Bishop Heathcote. In 1951, the new Hall was formally opened and blessed by Bishop Gower. HolyTrinity Memorial Hall contains an auditorium sitting 350 people, dressing rooms, meeting rooms, kitchen; facilities for youth activities are situated on the lower floor. In 1954, Holy Trinity Cathedral, being considered the Mother Church of the Diocese, played a prominent part in the 75th Anniversary celebrations. Holy Trinity Cathedral pioneered also the activities of various parish organizations: first Women's Auxiliary branch to be organized West of Calgary, The Server's Guild of St. Lawrence, founded in 1924, Holy Trinity Men's Club, formed in 1926, and the Seamen's Club which established the link with the Missions to Seamen London headquarters in 1929. With additional renovations and up-dating over the years, the restored building continues to serve the parish into its third century.
St. Barnabas' Parish, New Westminster was established in 1891, originally as the West End Mission Church of Holy Trinity Parish. From its inception St. Barnabas served the western part of the city. In 1892, the Reverend H.H. Gowen came to work conjointly with the parish of Trenant (Ladner). He surrendered Trenant six months later in order to devote himself to the development of West End Mission. The church was built in three sections: the first in 1891, the second in 1892, and the third, including the sanctuary and the end of the choir, in 1900. The parish was separated by act of the Diocesan Executive from Holy Trinity Parish in 1894. During the first years of the twentieth century the parish had a Men's Club, a night school for upgrading education, a Pansy society for young girls, the Boy's Brigade, which itself provided for the proper training of young men, ages 10 to 17. For some time the Sons of England Lodge met in the Parish Room. During the years of World War I there was a certain stability of parishioners attending church, but the parish was constantly fighting a running deficit. In 1911 the parish debt was paid off by an anonymous donor. A plan to improve parish finances was discussed the same year, but it did not seem to work. Despite this, the mortgage of the rectory was paid off in 1914. In October and November 1918, the church was closed by Order of Civil Authorities due to the influenza epidemic. A new and larger Parish Hall was built during the summer of 1925, and formally opened in September of that year. During the years of Depression and World War II, the parish went again through difficult times. For a while the parish was served by students, but in 1943 a Curate-in Charge was appointed by the Bishop. After the end of World War II, the parish finances improved to the point where the parish could again afford a full-time Rector. A Restoration Fund was set up and repairs and restorations were made in the early 1950's. A Junior Choir was formed, a Parish Mission was held in 1957, a new rectory was built and paid for in 1958. In 1960, the Parish Hall was partially destroyed by fire, but it was restored and widened immediately. Extra facilities were built to include Sunday School classes and meeting rooms. From 1969 to 1975, the parish improved its financial income; annual festivals were organized, additional hours for Eucharists were introduced, the church was left unlocked at all times to encourage its continued use for prayer. The Parish Hall was redecorated in 1977, the church was renovated in 1978. The parish continues to work towards caring for its parishioners and the surroundings community.
This parish developed in the early 1860's around the community of Royal Engineers and Sappers, the "Sapper's Town", who had come to the colony of British Columbia in 1859. Services were held in a portion of the barracks until 1863. Prior to the disbanding of the Royal Engineers and Sappers in the summer of 1863, the church was designed by Lieutenant J.C. White and built under contract by D. Richards, a former Sapper. The consecration of the church, named St. Mary the Virgin, was performed by Bishop Hills in 1865. When government officials moved to Victoria, the parish lost a large part of the congregation. In 1879 the Diocese of New Westminster was formed. Its first Bishop, A. W. Sillitoe, arrived at Sapperton in June 1880. He and his wife occupied the rectory which he renovated and renamed St. Mary's Mount. With this event St. Mary's took on a new lease of life. The parish began a mission in the Burquitlam area in the early 1910's which developed into St. Stephen's, Burnaby. During the period of World War One, 83 men from St. Mary's Parish enrolled for service, of whom 13 paid the supreme sacrifice. As a memorial to their sacrifice, money were raised and a pipe organ was dedicated at a memorable service in 1922. The congregation increased after 1921. It was found necessary to preserve the old buildings from decay and also to provide more room for the parishioners. A complete restoration and enlargement of the church was made between 1921 and 1922. In 1927 decision was made to build a new vicarage. Early in 1928 the building was finished and occupied, thus completing the church buildings required to carry on the church's work. On December 1932 a disastrous fire gutted the whole interior of the church. The restoration work started immediately; the work was finished in 1933 when a special Restoration Service was held . Parish life continued through the hard years of the depression. After the Second World War the number of the parishioners grew steadily. In 1953 St. Mary's separated from St. Stephen's, Burnaby, and became an independent parish. Improvements were made to the church building, as well as the formation of new parish groups. In 1955 the decision was made to build a new Parish Hall. This event became another milestone in the life of St. Mary's which became the first Anglican church in the west to organize its own money raising campaign from the ground up. After the new Parish Hall had been completed in 1959, it was discovered that the foundations of the old church were in imminent danger of collapsing. Renovation work was started in June 1959 and the congregation was back in the restored church by September the same year. Work on the church was done carefully with an eye to preserving it as a historic landmark. It is the oldest church building in New Westminster. In the early days it was called the "church in the woods", nowadays it sits at the busy city's crossroads. Despite the many mishaps St. Mary's building went through, the character of the historic church of the first pioneers has been preserved. The special pew of His Excellency Lieutenant - Governor Seymour, who was in residence at Sapperton and was one of the earliest worshipers at St. Mary's, is preserved to this day. It occupies the same position in the nave as it did more than one century ago, and it is marked with a memorial tablet.
St. Agnes' Church, North Vancouver came into existence in 1909 from the division of St. John the Evangelist Parish. The Executive Committee of the Diocese of New Westminster appointed the Rev. H.H. Gillies as first Priest-in-Charge to conduct the work along with the Lynn Valley Mission. In 1910 the church committee was elected and collectors appointed to raise the necessary funds to cover the purchase cost of a property for a future church. A Sunday School was established in 1911. Until 1913, the parish did not possess a church on its own, the Parish Hall serving this purpose. During World War One, many men of the congregation left for the front line. Consequently the parish was confronted with financial difficulties and it was decided to associate it with St. Clement's Parish. The two parishes separated in 1926. At that time, the St. Agnes' parish had grown to such an extent that it was considered opportune to become a separate parish with a Rector on its own. In 1927, the building of a Parish Hall became more and more needful. The church was moved to make room for the hall to be built behind the church, so as not to obstruct the view of the Church. On April 1928, the Church was officially opened by Archbishop A.U. de Pencier. Despite the hard times during the depression period, the parish tried to reduce its financial debts. In 1940, thanks to the organizations and individual parishioners contributions, the parish was free of debts. In 1974, together with the reorganization of the parish structure, it was decided to purchase of Rectory. The purchase was completed the same year. During the following years St. Agnes' church focused mainly on community outreach activities via study groups, and Christian education. Lay people became more and more involved in parish life; the attendance figures increased steadily. In 1985, St. Agnes' Parish celebrated the 75th Anniversary. Considered as one of the fastest growing parishes in the Diocese, St. Agnes' Church continuously encouraged people to take part in some aspects of the church's life through various parish groups and organizations such as: Anglican Christian Women, Family Life group, Women's and Altar Guild.
St. Clement's, North Vancouver was established as a separate mission in 1909.
The first Anglican church on the North Shore, St. John the Evangelist Parish was begun and organized as a mission in 1899. The first services were held in private residences and later in a small building at 13th Street and Lonsdale Ave. On October 22, 1899, the Reverend John Antle, afterwards founder of the Columbia Coast Mission, was appointed first Missionary in charge. In 1900, the church was built on the present site and it was formally dedicated by the Reverend John Dart as a Mission Church. This building was enlarged to double its capacity in 1907. In March 1909, the cornerstone of the church was laid and the Mission formally became a self-supporting parish. Opening services were held in July of the same year and the boundaries of the parish were extended. The Rectory was built in 1912 and a Chapel was added at the end of the Great War. In 1926, St. John's was fully incorporated as a Parish. In 1947, as a consequence of the fast growing population in the Capilano area, St. John's the Evangelist opened a Mission there. This Mission soon became self-sufficient and evolved into a self-contained congregation of St. Catherine's, no longer part of St. John's Parish. As the fast expanding South Capilano-Norgate area showed a need for special attention, St. John's called for a place of worship in that area. In June 1949, the first work began in the building of a Church Hall in the Norgate Park and South Capilano area. In 1955, the building was dedicated by Bishop Gower to the memory of St. Richard of Chichester. Over the years many gifts contributed to the furnishing of the buildings and to architectural developments of St. John's church. In 1948 the Memorial Hall was completed and dedicated. In 1985, St. John's was destroyed by fire and the Memorial Hall became the church for over two years. A new building was dedicated by Bishop Hambidge in 1987. With the constant growing of the congregation, St. John's has taken steps to meet the challenge through the extension of the memorial hall, increased membership and activity in church organizations, greater participation in the missionary field, and increased visitation work by both clergy and laymen.
Begun as a mission church of St. John the Evangelist, North Vancouver, the church of St. Richard was built by the people under the direction of the Rev. Charles Bishop in 1950. It was dedicated and opened March 16, 1951 and soon the Sunday School was running a double shift and all parish organizations were in full swing. Named for St. Richard of Chichester, a stone was inset at the centre of the altar in the shape of a triangle and was presented by the Dean of the Chapter of Chichester Cathedral and was taken from the floor of the church where St. Chichester was Bishop in the year 1245. By 1953 the loans for the church were all paid and plans made for an extension. By 1958 they were self-supporting and no longer a mission church of St. John's. In 1963 the parish was incorporated and approved with set boundaries, later to be consecrated in 1975. The parish ceased its operations and closed in 2009 (??)