Mostrando 137 resultados

Authority record
Entidade coletiva

St. Margaret's Parish (Cedar Cottage, Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-389
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1906-

St. Margaret's, Cedar Cottage was inaugurated as a mission in 1906 and was served from St. John the Divine, Central Park until it became an independent parish incorporated in 1909. In 1916 the parish was lost to a fire, after which services were held in the parish hall. The new church was opened in 1922. The new rectory and chapel were dedicated in 1933. the buildings were later restored and rededicated in 1957. The parish was once again destroyed in 1981 but continues its work.

St. Thomas' Parish (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-397
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1912-

The parish of St. thomas was established in 1912 as a mission of St. Michael's parish, Vancouver. It became independent in 1914. The hall was built in 1922 and the parish became fully self-supporting in 1927. The cornerstone form the renovated church and new hall was laid in 1955 and the dedication occurred later in the same year. It was then consecrated by Bishop Gower in 1967.

St. Mary's Parish (South Hill, Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-392
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1910-

St. Mary's, South Hill was established in 1910 after being separated from St. Luke's Parish. The parish church's full name is Bishop Hills Memorial Church of St. Mary the Virgin. The first service were held on March 19, 1911. The new church was opened and consecrated as a memorial to the first bishop of B.C. on December 20, 1914, with a new nave built in 1924. The church was consecrated in 1952 with the dedication of a new hall following in 1955.

St. Margaret of Scotland Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-334
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1928-

First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.

St. Stephen's Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-336
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1913-

An early service of what became St. Stephen's, Burquitlam [later Burnaby] was held in "Seven Gables" the Wiltshire family home, with the Rev. F.V. Venables, then in charge of St. John, Port Moody officiating. Earlier, the Union Church had been used and later services were held in the "Little Red Schoolhouse" until the St. Stephen's church building, dedicated September 28, 1913, was completed on land donated, in trust, to the diocese. This building was enlarged and renovated in 1958 to better serve parish needs. Activities were held in an agricultural hall until the parish hall was completed in 1931. Over the years this building was up-dated, with a fund raising campaign for major renovations to begin in 1981. Before this could happen, the old hall was destroyed by arson. The area was changing and pressure to sell and move elsewhere were made by land developers, but the parish decided to remain in place. Following hard work by the parish, insurance funds were eventually released and with other funds a new hall was built and other improvements to the grounds were made. This new hall was dedicated in September 1984. The first rectory was purchased in 1952, being replaced by a new house in 1960. In 1984, this, too, was sold. The parish was incorporated in 1991, becoming the "Parish of St. Stephen the Martyr, Burnaby" after which the parish bought adjoining property on Cameron Street. A series of students served the parish until 1928, alone and for two years with the Rev. Frank Plaskett [1918-1944]. Both Plaskett and the Rev. John Wilson [1944-1953], were rectors of St. Mary, Sapperton as well as St. Stephen's. The parish has been served as a separate parish since 1953. In 1991, the parish was ministered to by a half-time interim priest-in-charge, moving to a 3/4 time position by 1994. A full time incumbent was inducted into the parish in February 1999. By April, illness forced her to leave and the parish was served by an interim again, until July 2001, when another full time rector was inducted.

St. Catherine's Parish (Port Coquitlam, B.C.)

  • A-364
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1905-

Regular services began in Port Coquitlam in 1905 in connection with the parish of St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge. A church was opened in 1909 and the parish of St. Catherine, Port Coquitlam was formed in 1911. Until the early 1960's the parish included the Pitt Meadows congregation and during the 1920's and 1940's the parish was also linked with Port Moody and Ioco.

St. Helen's Parish (South Westminster, Surrey, B.C.)

  • A-373
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1911-

St. Helen's, South Westminster (or Southminster) was established as the second parish in Surrey in 1911. Due to the generosity of a donor, churches were soon built at three points in the parish: St. Helen's in South Westminster, St. Oswald's in Port Kells, and St. Aidan's in Tynehead. The latter church closed in 1918 while St. Oswald's was served from the parish of Langley from 1921 until 1932. During the rest of the 1930's, St. Helen's, South Westminster was included with Cloverdale, Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations. The 1950's saw an expansion in the parish. In 1951 a new mission church was built in the parish at Whalley, named St. Thomas, which was subsequently formed into a separate parish in 1953 and in 1959 St. Helen's established the new parish of St. Cuthbert's, North Delta.

St. Oswald's Parish (Port Kells, Surrey, B.C.)

  • A-376
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1911-

St. Oswald's, Port Kells opened ca. 1911 in connection with the new parish of St. Helen's, South Westminster. By 1921 and until 1932 Port Kells was served from the parish of Langley. During the remainder of the 1930's the congregation was connected again with St. Helen's, South Westminster together with Cloverdale and Latimer Heights. By the 1940's and until 1960 Port Kells was incorporated into the parish of North Surrey (renamed parish of Mid-Surrey in 1959) which included Cloverdale, Surrey Centre and Latimer Heights. By 1961 the parish of Mid-Surrey had been subdivided into three, leaving Port Kells paired with the Church of the Good Shepherd, Latimer Heights. The latter closed in 1964 while Port Kells was transferred to the care of St. George's, Fort Langley. By 1973 it was associated with the Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale which in 1973 amalgamated with Christ Church, Surrey Centre. St. Oswald's continued as part of this new entity until 1988 when it received its own incumbent.

St. John the Evangelist Parish (North Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-360
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1899-

The first Anglican church on the North Shore, St. John the Evangelist Parish was begun and organized as a mission in 1899. The first services were held in private residences and later in a small building at 13th Street and Lonsdale Ave. On October 22, 1899, the Reverend John Antle, afterwards founder of the Columbia Coast Mission, was appointed first Missionary in charge. In 1900, the church was built on the present site and it was formally dedicated by the Reverend John Dart as a Mission Church. This building was enlarged to double its capacity in 1907. In March 1909, the cornerstone of the church was laid and the Mission formally became a self-supporting parish. Opening services were held in July of the same year and the boundaries of the parish were extended. The Rectory was built in 1912 and a Chapel was added at the end of the Great War. In 1926, St. John's was fully incorporated as a Parish. In 1947, as a consequence of the fast growing population in the Capilano area, St. John's the Evangelist opened a Mission there. This Mission soon became self-sufficient and evolved into a self-contained congregation of St. Catherine's, no longer part of St. John's Parish. As the fast expanding South Capilano-Norgate area showed a need for special attention, St. John's called for a place of worship in that area. In June 1949, the first work began in the building of a Church Hall in the Norgate Park and South Capilano area. In 1955, the building was dedicated by Bishop Gower to the memory of St. Richard of Chichester. Over the years many gifts contributed to the furnishing of the buildings and to architectural developments of St. John's church. In 1948 the Memorial Hall was completed and dedicated. In 1985, St. John's was destroyed by fire and the Memorial Hall became the church for over two years. A new building was dedicated by Bishop Hambidge in 1987. With the constant growing of the congregation, St. John's has taken steps to meet the challenge through the extension of the memorial hall, increased membership and activity in church organizations, greater participation in the missionary field, and increased visitation work by both clergy and laymen.

St. Martin's Parish (North Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-361
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1910-

On October 30th, 1910, the first service, that marked the beginnings of St. Martin's Anglican Church, was held in a rented hall situated on the corner of Lonsdale Ave. and Queens Road. On November the same year, the church became a mission within the parish of St. John's the Evangelist. The Reverend T.E. Rowe, curate at St. John's, was placed in charge of the mission. The mission was separated from St. John's in January 1911 and became a parish. The parish was dedicated in 1919 by Bishop de Pencier to St. Martin of Tours. This was in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martin's day in 1918, and to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. Between 1920 and 1932, the church and the parish hall underwent various architectural modifications to meet the needs of the rapidly increasing congregation. The parish debts were faced with determination and in 1928 the mortgage was paid off. The rectory mortgage was cleared in 1931, and the Diocesan loan, obtained to assist in the purchase of additional lots, was repaid in December 1931. In 1932 the parish was free from all debt. In 1947, the need was felt to enlarge and beautify the existing church building. A new chancel and chapel were planned. On November 30th, 1947, the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Heathcote and the new Memorial Chancel and Chapel were dedicated by Bishop Gower in 1951. The year 1954 saw many improvements that added to the appearance of the interior of the church. A new rectory, with construction beginning in 1961, was completed the same year, but there were concerns for the structural foundations of the church. Fundraising was lead by the efforts of the Women's Auxiliary Branches and in 1965 a new Parish Hall was completed and dedicated. The improved facilities gave impetus to youth activities: Sunday School, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, and Guides. Parishioners were enabled to hold social activities such as Fall Fair, luncheons, plant sales, dances, and the like. Despite financial difficulties and fluctuations in the size of the congregation, St. Martin's operations were steadily supported by various parish organizations and by volunteer contributions such as: Women's Guild, Junior Auxiliary, Men's Club, and parishioners.

Resultados 61 a 70 de 137