Showing 1505 results

Authority record

St. George's Parish (Kingcome Inlet, B.C.)

  • A-346
  • Corporate body
  • 1915-

St. George's Church was consecrated in 1938. Prior to that, missionary activity began among the Kwagiutl at Kingcome Inlet, as early as the 1890's, in connection with the Church Missionary Society (C.M.S.) mission station at Alert Bay on Vancouver Island. By the late 1920's the missionary work at Kingcome had been transferred to the Columbia Coast Mission and the church was built at Kincome Inlet in 1938. In 1963 the Diocese of New Westminster assumed responsibility for Kingcome. Since 1963, the Diocese has ministered to the Kingcome church in a variety of ways. From 1963 to 1967, a full time Priest in Charge served the community, with a Columbia Coast Mission boat visiting every six weeks to offer medical services. The Mission also donated a boat, the M.V. 'Che Kwa La", to facilitate area ministry. A Church Army captain served as a Lay Evangelist from 1967 to 1969. A priest was appointed in June 1971 and served until September 1973. The parish has since been served from the Synod office, including visits from the bishop and various staff members to Kingcome. From March 1989 to October 1991 a priest from the Diocese of B.C., serving in Alert Bay ministered for one week a month in Kingcome. In 2012 oversight for Kingcome Inlet was transferred to the Diocese of British Columbia.

Christ Church Parish (Hope, B.C.)

  • A-345
  • Corporate body
  • 1861-

Following the arrival of a missionary, the Rev. A.D. Pringle, subscribers were solicited to gather funds for a church in Hope. Bishop George Hills laid the Corner Stone on July 9, 1861; and the completed building was consecrated on November 1, 1861. The parish celebrated the 125th Anniversary of its completion in 1986. While not built by the Royal Engineers, The Engineers offered their expertise and influenced its interior design. In 1958 the church was in need of major repairs and the Royal Canadian Engineers' Trades training Squadron stepped in with help and advice. The flags of both the English and Canadian groups are displayed in the church. In 1955, the building was recognized as of national historic and architectural significance by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. This designation was commemorated with a plaque. Mr. Pringle returned to England in 1864, after which the parish was served from Yale (1884-1921 and 1948-1971), with the clergyman holding services at Hope initially on irregular basis. For several years (1921-1924), the parish was served by ministers from other parishes - St. Thomas, Chilliwack, St. John, Sardis - and faculty and students from the Anglican Theological College. It was part of the Fraser-Cheam Area Parish from 1971 - 1986, following which it has been served by part-time Priest-in-Charge.

St. Aidan's Church (Roberts Creek, B.C.)

  • A-343.02
  • Corporate body
  • 1935-1984

St. Aidan's was established in 1935 and the church built in 1936. The money for the church was provided by the Bishop of Whitby of the Diocese of Durham in northern England after Archbishop dePencier, preached in Durham Cathedral and spoke of the need for churches on the Sunshine Coast. In 19?? it joined with the Parish of St. Bartholomew, Gibsons. The bell of St. Aidan's was incorporated into the renovation of St. Bartholomew, Gibsons. The church was deconsecrated in 1992 and the building used as a local community hall.

St. Bartholomew with St. Aidan, Roberts Creek Parish (Gibsons, B.C.)

  • A-343
  • Corporate body
  • 1927-

In 1987, The Parish of St. Aidan and St. Bartholomew, Gibsons was created, to minister to the area formerly served as the separate parishes of St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons and St. Aidan, Roberts Creek, both served from Gibsons. The new parish was formally incorporated under the name on May 31, 1993. Initially, services were held mainly in St. Bartholomew's and occasionally in St. Aidan's. The St. Aidan's church building was secularized in March 1991, after which all services were held in the St. Bartholomew building. St. Bartholomew's celebrated the 100th anniversary of their building in 1992. The original church is a framed cedar shingled building with a bell tower and several memorial stained glass windows. In 1988, a new, 2,6000 sq. ft. parish hall, containing a stage, meeting rooms, modern offices, a kitchen, storage and wash rooms was completed. This new building is connected to the original church building by a spacious common narthex. Proceeds from the sale of land at Highway 101 and Park Avenue helped to finance the hall project and provided additional funds for future building needs. The parish became self-supporting in 1992 and in 1993 undertook an ambitious programme to raise funds to enlarge their buildings to provide space for additional ministry initiatives. Part of this plan involved professional child care as a means of parish outreach into the community. The Nine-Three-Seven Childcare Society was registered to facilitate the development and on-going management of this programme. At the same time, the parish was also considering the best use of the property resources of the former St. Aidan's property in Roberts Creek.

St. Bartholomew with St. Aidan, Roberts Creek Parish (Gibsons, B.C.)

  • A-343
  • Corporate body
  • 1927-

In 1987, The Parish of St. Aidan and St. Bartholomew, Gibsons was created, to minister to the area formerly served as the separate parishes of St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons and St. Aidan, Roberts Creek, both served from Gibsons. The new parish was formally incorporated under the name on May 31, 1993. Initially, services were held mainly in St. Bartholomew's and occasionally in St. Aidan's. The St. Aidan's church building was secularized in March 1991, after which all services were held in the St. Bartholomew building. St. Bartholomew's celebrated the 100th anniversary of their building in 1992. The original church is a framed cedar shingled building with a bell tower and several memorial stained glass windows. In 1988, a new, 2,6000 sq. ft. parish hall, containing a stage, meeting rooms, modern offices, a kitchen, storage and wash rooms was completed. This new building is connected to the original church building by a spacious common narthex. Proceeds from the sale of land at Highway 101 and Park Avenue helped to finance the hall project and provided additional funds for future building needs. The parish became self-supporting in 1992 and in 1993 undertook an ambitious programme to raise funds to enlarge their buildings to provide space for additional ministry initiatives. Part of this plan involved professional child care as a means of parish outreach into the community. The Nine-Three-Seven Childcare Society was registered to facilitate the development and on-going management of this programme. At the same time, the parish was also considering the best use of the property resources of the former St. Aidan's property in Roberts Creek.

Skookum Chuck Mission (Egmont, B.C.)

  • A-342
  • Corporate body
  • 1926-1928

The Skookum Chuck Mission was opened in 1926. Egmont was chosen as the headquarters of a mission area which extended from Gibsons Landing to Pender Harbour. In 1928 the mission was divided with the priest continuing in the southern portion, centred at Gibsons Landing. The northern portion was placed in the responsibility of the Columbia Coast Mission.

St. David's Parish (Delta, Tsawassen, B.C.)

  • A-341a
  • Corporate body
  • 1948-

The first service of what would become the parish of St. David was held in the Boundary Bay School on July 12, 1908. The Rev. Bartlett of All Saints, Ladner Officiated. The congregation numbered 48. Sunday School was started in September of 1908 and was attended by many families who came for miles on foot or buggy. Services were held once or twice a month on Sunday afternoons. By 1948 a meeting was held to regard opinions for building a church. Those present were all in favour and a fund was started. In October of 1951, a lot was purchased. The Patron Saint of WAles, St. David was chosen out of deference to Rev. Evans, a Welshman who had worked hard to manifest the vision of the church. Most of the building was done with volunteer labour. The sod was turned June 4th, 1953 and the first service was held May, 1954 in the unfinished church, with the congregation seated on benches. Bishop Gower dedicated the first section in November, 1955. St. David's remained part of the parish of All Saints until 1956.

Expansion of the area took place in the 1960's and the original land was sold to a developer. A new building was planned and sod was turned MArch 22, 1970. The building was consecrated Epiphany Sunday, 1971.

All Saints' Parish (Ladner, Delta, B.C.)

  • A-341
  • Corporate body
  • 1881-

Bishop A. W. Sillitoe, the first bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, made his first "parish" visit upon arriving in his diocese, to the Fraser River settlement of Ladner's Landing, also known as Trennant. Impressed by the efforts of the people to meet him there, he offered to match funds raised by local Anglicans to build a church and pay a clergyman. As a result of the bishop's offer a Church Committee was formed: it met, with the bishop present on August 24, 1880. Land was donated and funds were raised and by 1881, a deacon, The Rev. William Bell, was appointed to serve Trennant, as the parish was initially named. At that time, the Trennant parish included all of Delta, Richmond and Surrey. Currently, the parish serves the Ladner area of Richmond. Mr. Bell served the parish until 1885. For the next eight years the parish was served by a number of Priests-in-charge , as well as two vicars. The parish shared an incumbant with St. David, Delta from 1953 to 1960. The first church building was completed by November 1881, a rectory was built a few years later, and a church hall was erected in 1923. As parish needs changed, parish building needs were reconsidered. A replacement rectory was completed and occupied in 1964 and a new church hall was built in 1978. An extensive fund-raising campaign was undertaken in the early 1980's to pay for needed renovations to the original, then 103 year old, building. The plan was to double the seating capacity while preserving the heritage value of the original building. The "old" building was moved 100 feet to allow for this. The first service in the reconstructed church was held on May 26, 1985.

St. Thomas' Parish (Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-340
  • Corporate body
  • 1873-

Established in 1873, St. Thomas' Church had been moved from its original location at Port Douglas where it had been erected in 1862 with the name St. Mark. From 1971 to 1987, St. Thomas was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish, a team ministry parish.

St. Peter's Parish (Rosedale, Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-339
  • Corporate body
  • 1912-2009

Rosedale was part of a district that also included East Chilliwack and Camp Slough. First services were conducted in the area by the minister of St. Thomas, Chilliwack in August 1911. Later that year a group of St. Thomas' parishioners, with people from the three communities, met and decided that a separate church was needed in Rosedale. With a $4,000.00 grant from St. Thomas, the Rev. E.M. Searles (1912-1917) was hired as the first incumbent, proving to be one of only a few priests to serve St. Peter's as a separate parish. The other periods that St. Peter's was served as an independent parish were from 1921 to 1922 and from 1987 to 1992. The parish was ministered together with St. Thomas, Chilliwack (1917-1918), All Saints, Agassiz (1918-1921, 1963-1971 and 1987 to the present) and St. John, Sardis (1923-1963), latterly only on an interim part-time basis. The parish was part of the Fraser-Cheam Area Parish from 1971 to 1986. The church building was constructed on an acre of land purchased for the purpose, and was dedicated by the bishop in September 1912. A vicarage was erected on the same site, and by January 1913 was ready for occupancy. This home was later demolished. In 1962, a recreation hall, a small kitchen, meeting room and church office were built and connected to the church by a large foyer. In December of 2007, the parish requested from the bishop to cease functions and was closed.

Results 81 to 90 of 1505