On October 30th, 1910, the first service, that marked the beginnings of St. Martin's Anglican Church, was held in a rented hall situated on the corner of Lonsdale Ave. and Queens Road. On November the same year, the church became a mission within the parish of St. John's the Evangelist. The Reverend T.E. Rowe, curate at St. John's, was placed in charge of the mission. The mission was separated from St. John's in January 1911 and became a parish. The parish was dedicated in 1919 by Bishop de Pencier to St. Martin of Tours. This was in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martin's day in 1918, and to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. Between 1920 and 1932, the church and the parish hall underwent various architectural modifications to meet the needs of the rapidly increasing congregation. The parish debts were faced with determination and in 1928 the mortgage was paid off. The rectory mortgage was cleared in 1931, and the Diocesan loan, obtained to assist in the purchase of additional lots, was repaid in December 1931. In 1932 the parish was free from all debt. In 1947, the need was felt to enlarge and beautify the existing church building. A new chancel and chapel were planned. On November 30th, 1947, the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Heathcote and the new Memorial Chancel and Chapel were dedicated by Bishop Gower in 1951. The year 1954 saw many improvements that added to the appearance of the interior of the church. A new rectory, with construction beginning in 1961, was completed the same year, but there were concerns for the structural foundations of the church. Fundraising was lead by the efforts of the Women's Auxiliary Branches and in 1965 a new Parish Hall was completed and dedicated. The improved facilities gave impetus to youth activities: Sunday School, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, and Guides. Parishioners were enabled to hold social activities such as Fall Fair, luncheons, plant sales, dances, and the like. Despite financial difficulties and fluctuations in the size of the congregation, St. Martin's operations were steadily supported by various parish organizations and by volunteer contributions such as: Women's Guild, Junior Auxiliary, Men's Club, and parishioners.