Mostrando 1509 resultados

Authority record

Hillary, The Rev. William

  • F-405
  • Persona
  • 1911-2001

The Rev. George William Hillary was born June 28, 1911 in Hampsterly, Durham, England. After being educated as a child at Witton Park and the Choir School of Durham Cathedral, he received his theological education from St. Paul's College, Durham University (1932) as well as St. Chad's College in Regina Sask ( 1935). He was ordained deacon on Sunday, August 4, 1935 at St. Paul's pro-cathedral in Regina Sask by the 5th Bishop of Qu'Appelle, the Right Rev. Knowles. Hillary was the bishop's first oridnand. The Rev. Hillary was ordained to the priesthood April 19th, 1936 by same. He had an early introduction to music, as well as journalistic experience as a member of the editorial committee of The Anglican Church News - a forerunner to TOPIC, the newspaper of the Diocese of New Westminster. He began his priestly service in several parishes in the Diocese of Qu'Appelle in Saskatchewan from 1936-1954, before transferring to the Diocese of New Westminster. In the latter, he served as Incumbent of St. Thomas, Whalley (1954-1959), Rural Dean of New Westminster (1957-1958), Assistant Rector of Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver (1959-1960), Retor of St. Michael, Vancouver (1960-1976) until his retirement in 1976.

St. Andrews Parish (Pender Harbour, B.C.)

  • F-369a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1991-2004

The congregations in the parish of Sechelt were originally served by the Columbia Coast Mission and the Skookum Chuck Mission at Egmont. In 1928 the southern section of the Skookum Chuck Mission was separated and worked from St. Bartholomew's, Gibsons. Within this parish, churches were opened at Sechelt (St. Hilda's) and Roberts Creek (St. Aidan's) during the 1930's. St. Hilda's, Sechelt was separated from Gibsons and Roberts Creek in 1964. At the same time, St. Mary's, Garden Bay at Pender Harbour (opened as a Columbia Coast Mission hospital chapel in 1939) and the Church of His Presence, Redroofs at Halfmoon Bay (opened in 1962) were attached to the new parish. These two churches closed in the early 1970's. New work was begun in Madeira Park at Pender Harbour and in 1979 a new church, named St. Andrew's, was dedicated. St. Andrew's was separated from St. Hilda's, Sechelt in 1992.

All Saints' Parish (Mission, B.C.)

  • F-352a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1901-

The parish of All Saints, Mission was formed in 1901, with first services held November 10, 1901. The church was consecrated April 20th, 1902. The first service was held in Mission Ciry with the view of forming a parish which would embrace Mission City, Hatzic, Matsqui, Abbotsford and Whonnock. Subsequently Abbotsford and all the territory south of the Fraser River was set apart as a new parish, and Whonnock and territory west of the river was set apart as a new parish. Each of these were originally stations of the Fraser River Mission. The parish experienced difficulties during the WWI years as many parishioners enlisted and were lost in the war. However throughout the depression years and WWII the parish grew. A new, larger curch was built, consecrated and dedicated in October of 1947.

St. Laurence's Parish (Coquitlam, B.C.)

  • F-336A
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1965-

The Right Reverend Godfrey P. Gower, Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, formally established the parish of St, Laurence on May 16, 1963. The parish first met in the local health unit, but recognizing that the population in the area would likely double in the following ten years, the building committee decided to construct a facility that would provide space for worship, church school and parish activities. Members of the parish were active in the construction of the building, which was completed and the first services held in June 1965. The growing congregation saw the need for a larger building, and in 1987 plans began to build a new church. A very committed team of lay leaders met weekly for two years to incorporate the vision and desires of the parish. The original sanctuary would become a large parish hall and the new sanctuary would be built on an adjoining lot. With enthusiastic leadership and a vigorous stewardship campaign, the new building was consecrated on November 27, 1996.

St. Timothy's Parish (Burnaby, B. C.)

  • F-335b
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 2003-2014

St. Timothy, Burnaby was created through an amalgamation of the former parishes of Christ the King, Burnaby and St. Nicolas, Burnaby and worships in the renovated buildings of the former Christ the King parish.

Christ the King Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • F-335a
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1955-2003

"Christ the King is a small and caring parish family serving in the Brentwood area of North Burnaby. Founded in 1955 through both St. Nicolas' and St. James' Churches, the character of the parish was originally Anglo Catholic. In the late 60's and early 70's the parish moved into experimental liturgy and ministered to the communitythrough the development of the Cameray Counselling Centre for victims of sexual abuse, a hostel for transient youth, and other outreach projects. Since that time Christ the King has attempted to maintain a balanced approach to its work and worship. Our worship services continue to be somewhat informal and use contemporary language...The Rev. Kathleen (Kay) Schmitt arrived at Christ the King on March 1, 1994, Kay was formerly Priest-in-Charge of St. Richard's, North Vancouver and Rector of St. Margaret's Parish in Edmonton" (From "Welcome to Christ the King" D 1275 / 3) Christ the King Parish closed on October 15, 2003. It is now part of St. Timothy's Parish Burnaby.

All Saints' Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • F-330
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1912-

All Saints, South Burnaby was initially within the parish boundaries of St. John, Central Park and began as the Alta Vista mission of that parish. Services were held in a store [1912] and then in a school and in private homes [1913]. The mission became a separate parish in 1913 and was named All Saints, Alta Vista by the Bishop, Adam de Pencier. The name was changed to "All Saints, South Burnaby" in 1950 and became "The Parish of All Saints, South Burnaby" when the parish was incorporated 1956. For many years, except for brief periods, the new parish was served by theological students, with the Rector of St. John, Central Park and other, often retired, clergy undertaking monthly sacramental duties. The first regular, long term rector began in 1932, and this pattern continues to the present. The first church building was erected on donated land, with the first service held in it in October, 1913. A church hall was completed in 1922 and a new larger church building in 1958 to serve the growing parish. The building was dedicated and the altar and sanctuary furnishings consecrated in October 1958. In 1967, the building debt was retired and the church was then consecrated by the Bishop. Further renovations have been made to parish buildings over the years to accommodate changing priorities. The parish continues to serve the south Burnaby area as it has done since 1912.

All Saints' Parish (Agassiz, B.C.)

  • F-329
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1893-

Agassiz was included in the Fraser River Missionary District until 1892 when Agassiz, Yale and Hope were separated into a new parish. Agassiz remained connected with Yale and Hope until 1911 when it received a resident priest. During the 1930's and 1940's it was again associated with Yale and Hope. From 1963 to 1971, it was paired with St. Peter's, Rosedale. From 1971 to 1986, All Saints was part of Fraser-Cheam Parish, a team ministry parish. Since 1987 All Saints has constituted a single point parish.

Somerville, Frances

  • D 2011-21
  • Persona
  • 1916-2007

Frances Somerville was born Frances Vivian Smith Gardner in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia on June 5, 1916. She was baptized and confirmed at St. John’s, Lunenburg – the same church where her parents were married. She graduated from Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia with a BA in English and Psychology in 1939. She went on garner a Teacher’s Diploma in “Voice, Culture and Singing and Public School Music – Voice” from the Maritime Academy of Music, where she later taught. Always involved in music, she began her performing career as part of the Dalhousie University Glee Club and later went on to perform professionally, both in person and on the radio – with the CBC and Norwegian Royalty as some of her most noted audiences. She performed throughout the 1930’s and 1940’s. In 1946 she married the Reverend Harold James Best of Woodstock, New Brunswick. The couple moved to British Columbia in 1951. In 1985 Frances married Archbishop David Somerville, and the two lived in North Vancouver until their deaths. She was an avid writer. She penned an autobiography of Archbishop Somerville called “David: Archbishop and Friend” and was known for her witty poems and heartfelt prayers. Frances died August 16, 2007.

St. James the Less Parish (New Westminster, B.C.)

  • A-CP-0.30
  • Entidade coletiva
  • 1941-1977

St. James the Less Parish began as a mission of St. Barnabas' Parish, New Westminster in 1946. By 1959 it was a separate parish. The parish closed in 1977.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 1509