First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.