Affichage de 137 résultats

Authority record

Church of Cleopas Parish (Westsyde, Kamloops, B.C.)

  • A-220
  • Collectivité
  • 1965-

The Church of Cleopas began in the early 1960's, although the community of Westsyde had been included as early as the 1920's in the Thompson River Mission (now North Thompson Mission). The parish briefly included St. Hilda's, Savona until about 1966.

St. George's Parish (North Kamloops, Kamloops, B.C.)

  • A-221
  • Collectivité
  • 1927-

Founded in 1927 as part of the Thompson River Mission (now North Thompson Mission), St. George's, North Kamloops became a separate parish in 1936. The parish was united with the North Thompson Mission from about 1942 to 1956. Several smaller surrounding communities were also served from St. George's, including Barnhartvale, Brocklehurst, Savona, Tranquille and others.

North Thompson Mission (B.C.)

  • A-229
  • Collectivité
  • 1915-1984

Originally called the Kamloops Missions and served with St. Paul's, Kamloops, the name was changed to the Thompson River Mission in 1917. The mission at one time embraced more than twenty-five small communities in the environs of Kamloops and the North Thompson River valley. Churches were built and dedicated ca. 1915 at Savona (St. Hilda) and at Goose Lake (St. Peter). In 1927 St. George's Church was opened in North Kamloops. From about 1930 to 1935 the mission was divided into north and south districts. In 1936, St. George's, North Kamloops was separated into a new parish embracing the southern points while the Thompson River Mission continued as the North Thompson Mission. The two parishes were united from about 1942 to 1956. Currently the North Thompson Mission includes four congregations: Church of the Redeemer, Barriere; Church of St. John and St. Paul, Birch Island; Cahilty; and St. Stephen's, Little Fort.

Cariboo Courier

  • A-202
  • Collectivité
  • 1950-1951

The Cariboo Courier was a diocesan newspaper started by Rev. John L. Clark, vicar at St. Alban, Ashcroft. The paper was short-lived, producing only one issue in 1951.

British Columbia Anglican Youth Movement

  • A-4
  • Collectivité
  • 1932-

Formerly called the Anglican Young Peoples Association (A.Y.P.A.), a B.C. Provincial Council was formed in 1932. After national restructuring in 1967 the organization was renamed the British Columbia Anglican Youth Movement (BCAYM). The organization has seldom had a central office; rather, administrative activities and record keeping have been dispersed across the Ecclesiastical Province. Key activities which have brought Anglican youth together have been annual conferences, summer projects and the publication of newsletters. Since about 1974 the BCAYM has published the newsletter, "Logos".

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-299
  • Collectivité
  • 1971-1974

Save Christ Church Cathedral Committee was formed in 1971 to counter a decision to demolish the Cathedral and redevelop the site. The tentative plans proposed the construction of a high-rise office block, incorporating a small religious sanctum. The Committee, representing members of the congregation and members of the Anglican community at large, submitted a plan of preservation of the site to the Vancouver City Council. The City Council was asked to ensure the preservation of the building and to support the request of the Committee for a $500,000 endowment fund to be provided by the Diocesan Council. Hugh Crisp Fuller, a parish member, serving as President of the Committee, led the efforts to preserve the Cathedral building.

St. Anne's Parish (Steveston, Richmond, B.C.)

  • A-367a
  • Collectivité
  • 1892-

The first service of St. Anne's Church, Lulu Island was held at 2nd Ave and Georgia Street in Steveston January 3, 1892. There was a great amount of difficulty acquiring a site for the small proposed church. By April of 1897 the parish had succeeded in building a shell of a very fine church, and it was dedicated that year as the last act before the Bishop left for England. The parish was named St. Anne's after the St. Anne's Society of Kemerton, which had aided with the work. The parish had to use "common vessels" for their Eucharists until altar vessels were gifted to the parish in 1900. By 1901 the building had been lined with wood so that services could be held in the church year-round. In 1912 the church was burned by fire. By 1925 the work at St. Augustine, Marpole and St. Anne's had reached the pint where division was thought necessary - as such, St. Augustine became a self-supporting parish. St. Anne's also birthed the parish churches of St. Jerome and St. Alban's Brighouse.

St. Mark's Parish (Ocean Park, Surrey, B.C.)

  • A-374
  • Collectivité
  • 1924-

Anglican parish work began ca. 1924 as part of the Crescent Union Church, together with the United Church. This congregation formed part of the parish of Surrey Centre until it was divided off in 1928 along with Holy Trinity, White Rock and St. Matthew's, Halls Prairie as the parish of White Rock. In 1931 a separate Anglican church, named Church of the Ascension, was opened. In 1953 the Church of the Ascension became a separate parish. St. Mark, Ocean Park was opened in connection with the parish in 1966 resulting in a new name, Parish of St. Mark with Church of the Ascension. In 1973 services ceased in the Crescent Beach church. In 1988 the parish changed its name to St. Mark, Ocean Park.

St. Peter's Parish (Rosedale, Chilliwack, B.C.)

  • A-339
  • Collectivité
  • 1912-2009

Rosedale was part of a district that also included East Chilliwack and Camp Slough. First services were conducted in the area by the minister of St. Thomas, Chilliwack in August 1911. Later that year a group of St. Thomas' parishioners, with people from the three communities, met and decided that a separate church was needed in Rosedale. With a $4,000.00 grant from St. Thomas, the Rev. E.M. Searles (1912-1917) was hired as the first incumbent, proving to be one of only a few priests to serve St. Peter's as a separate parish. The other periods that St. Peter's was served as an independent parish were from 1921 to 1922 and from 1987 to 1992. The parish was ministered together with St. Thomas, Chilliwack (1917-1918), All Saints, Agassiz (1918-1921, 1963-1971 and 1987 to the present) and St. John, Sardis (1923-1963), latterly only on an interim part-time basis. The parish was part of the Fraser-Cheam Area Parish from 1971 to 1986. The church building was constructed on an acre of land purchased for the purpose, and was dedicated by the bishop in September 1912. A vicarage was erected on the same site, and by January 1913 was ready for occupancy. This home was later demolished. In 1962, a recreation hall, a small kitchen, meeting room and church office were built and connected to the church by a large foyer. In December of 2007, the parish requested from the bishop to cease functions and was closed.

St. Margaret of Scotland Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-334
  • Collectivité
  • 1928-

First services for what would become the parish of St. Margaret, Lochdale in Burnaby were held in private homes and later in the Community Hall. The Rev. Walter Dent from St. Nicolas conducted these afternoon services. The original church building, later used for the Sunday School, was built by volunteer labour on donated property, the lumber purchased with money loaned to the parish. This building was completed in 1929. The depression years of the 1930's, along with the absence of a resident minister, resulted in much reduced numbers in the congregation, with the thriving Sunday School providing the reason for continuing. During the 1940's the parish was served in connection with St. Nicolas, Burnaby and for a short time also with All Saints, Vancouver. In 1950, a decision about the on-going viability of the parish had to be addressed. A Lay Reader, Mr. Walter Wain, was put in charge while decisions were considered. Under Mr. Wain's ministrations [1950-1956] the congregation grew, as did the Sunday School, and the church soon needed to expand its facilities. The parish decided to raise the existing building and add a basement. Finding funding for the renovation was very difficult, but construction was finished and the parish did become debt-free. Parishioners chose "St. Margaret of Scotland" as the parish's name and patron. In 1956, a bequest allowed for the purchase of an adjacent house for a rectory, with the parish's first resident priest moving into it in October or that year. In 1961, another fund drive was held. An extension was added to the church and dedicated by the bishop that same year. Later, property adjacent to the church was acquired to provide for future parish needs. The parish was formally incorporated on July 20, 1993 with corporate name being "Parish of St. Margaret of Scotland, Burnaby". The parish decided to develop the adjacent land as an Abbeyfield Senior's Residence, in partnership with the Diocese and the Burnaby Lion's Club. The "Abbeyfield St. Margaret of Scotland Society" was formed to oversee the tasks necessary to complete and run the project. The first Abbeyfield House was officially opened in 1997, with a second one planned for the future.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 137