Showing 1503 results

Authority record

Robson Valley Mission (B.C.)

  • A-234
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-

McBride was selected as the site of a new parish and church in 1914 as it was a divisional point in the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad, then in the process of being completed. Around 1927 a new mission, called the Upper Fraser Mission, was established with its centre point at McBride and embracing the area between Prince George and Red Pass Junction. The Upper Fraser Mission included several communities in its ministry over the years. Some points in the mission have also been served from Prince George or the North Thompson Mission, including Valemount which was added around 1960 from the North Thompson Mission. By 1991 the mission was a shared ministry with the United Church and is now called Robson Valley. Robson Valley currently includes two congregations: All Saints, McBride and Christ Church, Valemount.

All Saints' Parish (Shulus, B.C.)

  • A-236
  • Corporate body
  • 1917-

Originally served within the Lytton Indian Mission, Shulus had been separated into an independent Indian mission by 1920. From Shulus various other congregations and communities have been served. Currently, the parish includes St. Philip's, Canford; St. Catherine's, 14 Mile House; and St. Michael and All Angels', Spences Bridge. Previously, congregations at Pokhaist, Toketi, Cornwall and others have been included in the parish's ministry. Since 1986 Shulus and Merritt have been joined together as the Nicola Valley Pastoral Zone, a venture in a joint pastoral ministry in charge of one priest. It was later combined to become the Scw'exmx Anglican Parish.

St. Peter's Parish (Williams Lake, B.C.)

  • A-237
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-

Church work began as the Mission of St. John the Divine, Chilcotin in 1916 with headquarters at Beaver Ranch, Hanceville under the auspices of St. John the Divine Parish, Kennington, England. The mission work lapsed in 1919 and was reopened in 1926 with headquarters at Williams Lake. The smaller outstations were grouped into the Central Cariboo Mission (also called Chilcotin Mission), with headquarters at St. Luke, Alexis Creek, from about 1963 to 1975. The parish currently includes the Alexis Creek congregation

Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster

  • A-289
  • Corporate body
  • 1879-

In 1879, the original (1859) Anglican Diocese of British Columbia was divided into three "sees" (bishoprics, dioceses): The Bishopric of British Columbia, The Bishopric of Caledonia and The Bishopric of New Westminster. The Bishopric or the Diocese of New Westminster consisted of the southern mainland of the civil province of British Columbia. It has been divided again twice: in 1899 with the creation of the Diocese of Kootenay and in 1914 with the creation of the Diocese of Cariboo. Since 1914 its boundaries have included the Lower Mainland, the Fraser Valley up to and including Yale, the Sunshine Coast and Howe Sound area. The original See city was New Westminster with Holy Trinity Church constituted as the Cathedral in 1892. By the 1910's the Bishop and Synod administration had moved to Vancouver. In 1929 Christ Church in Vancouver was constituted the Cathedral of the Diocese. The Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster convened for the first time on April 18, 1882. The Constitution of the Synod was adopted at the conference held for this purpose. The attendees decided the following: the name and the composition of the Synod; the appointment and maintenance of the clergy; the tenure and management of church property; the formation and constitution of parishes; and the regulations for offices of the church. In 1893, an "Act to Incorporate the Anglican Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster" was passed by the Legislative Assembly of the civil province of British Columbia permitting the incorporation of the Diocese of New Westminster as a Corporation Sole. The Anglican Synod of the Diocese of New Westminster Incorporation Act, 1893 (the;"Act") established the boundaries of the diocese, the right of Synod to deal with real and/or personal property, to invest funds and to borrow money, to adopt, alter, amend or annul the Constitution, Canons, and Rules of order of the diocese. Diocesan parishes can also incorporate under this act. The "Act" was last amended by the Legislative Assembly of the province of British Columbia in 1961. Currently, the Act is included with the most recent printing of the Constitution, Canons and Rules of Order (1998). The Constitution, Canons and Rules of order are undergoing periodical amendments as circumstances require. The Canons of the diocese are the ecclesiastical laws by which it is governed. Canons must be authorized by a resolution that is carried at Synod and sanctioned by the Bishop. They can be changed, amended, deleted and/or added to only by the Synod and the Bishop. Regulations provide detailed information relating to various diocesan procedures. Rules of Order are detailed procedures for the proper management of meetings of sessions of Diocesan Synod.

Youth Ministry Coordinator

  • A-289.18
  • Person
  • 1985-

The position of Youth Ministry Coordinator was created in 1984 and has existed on-and-off until present day in different forms.

Business Administrator

  • A-289.44
  • Person
  • 197?-

Before the existence of the Business Administrator, administrative duties were divided amongst the Diocesan committees, the Executive Archdeacon and the Registrar/Chancellor/Agent. Since that time, the position has been held by Nigel Snelgrove, XXXXX, Barry Foord, Mike Wellwood, and Robert Dickson.

All Hallows' School (Yale, B.C.)

  • A-290
  • Corporate body
  • 1885-1920

All Hallows began in 1854 at Shipmeadow, England, as a penitentiary designed to look after what were known as "fallen women". An active religious community of Sisters was formed at All Hallows to run a hospital, a school for girls, as well as to look after visitors coming there for a time of retreat from the affairs of the world. The Sisters moved to Ditchingam, Norfolk and built themselves a monastery in which to live and work. In 1881 Bishop Sillitoe sent out a call to England for assistance in his work with the native Indian population. The response came from All Hallows community in Ditchingam. Three sisters arrived in Yale in 1884, using the parsonage adjoining St. John's Church as a school for Indian girls. The year after they moved the school into the abandoned C.P.R. hospital. Following negotiations initiated by Bishop Sillitoe, a new school was built in 1888. Given the high quality of the education prevailing in the school, families in New Westminster and other parts of B.C., where at that time no advanced educational facilities existed, began to seek admission for their daughters. In 1890, another wing was added to take care of the white girl's needs. Further additions were made in 1908 and 1909, the peak years of the school's history. The fee for entrance into the white girl's part of the school was $5, with board and education costing $30 a month; piano instruction was $5; violin and painting $5 a month. The school possessed spacious playing grounds, with two tennis courts, a basketball court, hockey and croquet grounds. Sister Amy occupied the position of Sister Superior for many years. She was followed by sister Constance and others, including Sister Althea, Agatha, Alice, and Marion. Sisters of All Hallows planned also to replace the Ondernok chapel, that had been build as a stable, with a new chapel built of stone. A fund of $5000 was raised for this purpose, but the school closed its doors in 1916, before enough money was raised. The money was used later to equip the chapel at St. George's Indian School at Lytton, and lift the mortgage from the Japanese Mission in Vancouver. The Sisters returned to England in 1920.

Anglican Church Foundation of the Diocese of New Westminster

  • A-291
  • Corporate body
  • 1956-1972

The Anglican Church Foundation of the Diocese of New Westminster was incorporated as a Society in 1956 under the Societies Act of the province of B.C. The objects of this Society were: "To receive bequests, devises and donations of every kind and description...; to promote objects of a religious, charitable and educational character, and in particular but without limiting the generality of the foregoing, to aid in establishing Parishes and Missions, in erecting, maintaining and operating Churches, Church Schools, Parish halls and Parsonages...; to use, devote and apply its assets and income [...] for the promotion and attainment of the aforesaid purposes..." The foundation was administered by a Board of Directors and trustees with Bishop Gower as chair ex-officio. The members, not more than 12 laymen, were elected by the Executive Committee of the Synod of the Diocese. The positions of secretary and treasurer could be held by one and the same person. The principal and registered office was located in Vancouver, B.C. The society was dissolved in 1972.

Anglican Church Women. Diocese of New Westminster Board

  • A-292
  • Corporate body
  • 1904-

The Woman's Auxiliary of the Diocese of New Westminster was organized in 1904 as the New Westminster Branch of the Woman's Auxiliary to the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada. Before the establishment of the first Diocesan Woman's Auxiliary Board, there were five branches in existence in the Diocese. Until 1947, the Woman's Auxiliary Board was auxiliary to the Missionary Society. In 1947, it became auxiliary to the whole of the Anglican Church of Canada (then called the Church of England in Canada). Following proposed amendments to the Constitution (June 1963), the society changed its name to "Woman's Auxiliary of the Anglican Church of Canada, Diocese of New Westminster" (1966). The role of the Woman's Auxiliary includes: the supporting of missionaries, fundraising for charities, direct involvement for charitable programs (such as clothing for arctic communities), and the running of Christian children's groups (similar to Girl Guides). In the 1960's and 1970's, missions work scaled back, and the children's groups were disbanded. Involvement in charities and social issues still continues, as well as interest in feminist issues. As mentioned in the 1963 constitution, the Woman's Auxiliary Board also assist the parishes "to enlist the interest and active participation of women and girls in the missionary, educational and social work of the Church". The Diocesan divisions of the Woman's Auxiliary were initially represented by a national board. This body was replaced in 1973/1974 by the national Women's Unit, which was integrated into the national church as a whole. The National Women's Unit was disbanded in the early 1990, leaving Diocesan divisions to manage their own inter-divisional co-ordination. Within the administrative structure of the Diocese of New Westminster, the Woman's Auxiliary has its own board, and functions with a certain degree of independence. It does, however, report to the Diocesan Programme Committee and it must report annually to the Diocesan Synod. The board is composed of the Directors (President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer), chairs of standing committees and other elected officers. The Diocesan Woman's Auxiliary board co-ordinates, to a limited degree, the parish Women's Auxiliary groups. The latter are grouped in six geographical areas. Diocesan-level meetings are held in these areas on a rotational basis. Monthly area meetings were originally held separately from the monthly general meetings, but the two were combined in the early 1990.

Bishop's Men

  • A-294
  • Corporate body
  • 1952-

The Bishop's Men was established in 1952 as an advisory and supporting association to assist the Bishop in his work as head of the Diocese and to serve as well as a source of sustained funding for clergy. The terms of reference of the association are as follows: to provide financial assistance when the Bishop is confronted with emergencies not immediately covered by the Diocesan budget; to provide assistance to clergy and their families in times of serious financial strain; to offer their services when the Synod undertakes campaigns for the extension of its work within the Diocese. Meetings of the association were kept to the minimum and consisted mainly of an annual dinner with an occasional luncheon when the Diocese was honoured by the visit of a well known leader from other parts. Members of the association contributed $100.00 annually to the Bishop's Fund.

Results 31 to 40 of 1503