- Corporate body
Christ the Redeemer parish, as it currently exists, was created in 1973 from the amalgamation of the congregations of Christ Church, Surrey Centre and Church of the REdeemer, Cloverdale. The amalgamated congregation and parish continued to be called Christ Church until 1989 when it was renamed Christ the Redeemer. The two merging congregations, however, had a longer and intertwined history, progressing from a rural parish of farming communities to a suburban parish. Surrey Centre was the point at which parochial work was begun in Surrey in 1881 and where Christ Church was opened in 1884. the parish was coextensive with the municipality of Surrey, which at the time also included White Rock. St. George's, Nicomekl was the second church built in the parish; it opened in 1900 and closed in 1917. In 1911 the parish was divided, resulting in the creation of the new parish of St. Helen's, South Westminster. The parish of Surrey Centre continued to provide services at Nicomekl, Halls Prairie (where St. Matthew's opened in 1913), Kensington Prairie and other points. By 1920 work had also been initiated in White Rock, where Holyd Trinity church opened in 1921. By 1925 two new points had been had been added:Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale (opened in 1925) and the Crescent Union Church (later Church of the Ascension) at Crescent Beach. In 1928 a second division of the parish occurred with White Rock being separated into a new parish together with the Halls Prairie and Crescent congregations. During the 1930's Christ Church, Surrey Centre was served together with the parish of Langley while Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdael was linked up with St. Helen's, South Westminster and the Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations. From the 1940's until 1960 the Surrey Centre, Cloverdale, Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations were grouped together in the the parish of North Surrey (renamed Mid-Surrey in 1959). By 1961 the parish of Mid-Surrey was subdivided into three parishes:Christ Church, Surrey Centre; Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale; and St. Oswald, Port Kells with Church of the Good Shepherd, Latimer Heights. St. Oswald's was linked up with Cloverdale by 1973 and continued as part of the amalgamated parish until 1988 when it received its own incumbent.