Showing 1503 results

Authority record

Anglican Provincial Synod of British Columbia and Yukon

  • A-1
  • Corporate body
  • 1914-

The organization of the Ecclesiastical Province of British Columbia, that had begun with a single diocese with only few parishes, was complete by 1914. Four Dioceses had been established with the prospect of a fifth. The body having the authority over the setting of the Dioceses, diocesan boundaries, and the election of the Metropolitan is the Provincial Synod. The Synod meets regularly every third year not being the year in which there is a regular meeting of General Synod. The time and place are to be decided by the Metropolitan in consultation with the Prolocutor. The reports of the meetings, as adopted starting with the first session (February 18th, 1914, Victoria, B.C.) are recorded in the Journal of the Proceedings of the Ecclesiastical Province of B.C. The matters discussed include the change of the existing boundaries of Dioceses, the appointment of various Committees, reports of these Committees, amendments and revisions to the Constitution and Canons of the Provincial Synod, matters relating to religious education in the church, financial reports, funding issues.

Sorrento Centre

  • A-10
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

Steps toward the establishment of a provincial lay training centre began as early as the 1940's. In 1962 Provincial Synod approved the establishment of such a centre at Sorrento, B.C. In 1964 the Centre began operation. Initially called Sorrento Lay Training Centre, the name was changed in 1971 to Sorrento Centre for Human Development. Since 1982 it has simply been called Sorrento Centre. Sorrento is administered by a Board of Directors with representatives from the Ecclesiastical Province and the Dioceses of Cariboo, Kootenay and Calgary

Camp Puntchesakut (Quesnel, B.C.)

  • A-201
  • Corporate body
  • 1957-

Operated by the Diocese of Cariboo Camp Committee, Camp Puntchesakut was started in 1957 at Lake Puntchesakut, near Quesnel.

Ashworth, Mollie

  • A-2014.1
  • Person
  • 1928-2012

In 1976 after visiting a number of times and travelling from coast to coast, Mollie decided to immigrate to Vancouver where she joined her cousins and began a new adventure as a hopeful Canadian. Only four years later, in 1980, she enthusiastically became a Canadian citizen. Mollie settled in East Vancouver, in the parish of St. David of Wales, Vancouver. This is where Mollie found her spiritual home. Mollie instantly felt welcomed and at home at St. David’s and was a member of their congregation from 1978 to 2006. After retirement in 1988, from her long career as a Midwife, back in England and Practical Nurse at Grace Hospital, Mollie was able to dedicate more time to her involvement with St. David’s. Since 2006 Mollie has been a member of Christ Church Cathedral and has regularly been involved with the Cathedral’s monthly Senior’s Fellowship, the Thursday Eucharist and Healing Service and the Family Eucharist on Sunday mornings.

Alley, The Rev. Elspeth

  • A-2014.2
  • Person

Elspeth (McAlpine) Alley (1924-2000) was one of the first women to be ordained to the priesthood in the Diocese of New Westminster. She was born on November 24, 1924 in Vancouver, B.C. and lived most of her life in this area. Her school years were spent at Crofton House School in Vancouver. She entered the University of British Columbia in 1942 and completed two years; moving on to Mills College in Oakland, California, U.S.A. where she completed her Bachelor of Arts with a major in music in 1946. After teaching music for a year she married John G. Alley, Barrister and Solicitor, in 1947. They had three daughters together, Claudia, Jennifer, and Frances. Prompted by her daughtersメ questions, she decided to learn more about her Christian heritage. Elspeth enrolled at the Vancouver School of Theology in 1967 and graduated with a Bachelor of Sacred Theology in 1972. In 1977, the Vancouver School of Theology changed this to the Master of Divinity degree which she was awarded in 1980. Elspeth was ordained to the Diaconate on Whitsunday, May 21, 1972 in Christ Church Cathedral, Vancouver by the sixth Bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, the Right Reverend T.D. Somerville. Her first posting as Deacon Assistant was to St. Catherineメs Church, North Vancouver, working with the Rector, Ian Grant, from May 1972 to September 1974. During this period her husband died, due to an accident at home, on May 1, 1974. From October 1974 to April 1975 Elspeth became the part-time Assistant at St. Chadメs Church, working with the Rector, Henri Taudin-Chabot. Then, in June 1975 she became a full-time Assistant at St. Faithメs Church, working under the tutelage of the Rector, Peter Davison, until February 1977. A milestone both personally and in the history of the Anglican Church of Canada took place on St. Andrewメs Day, November 30, 1976. Elspeth Alley and Virginia Briant were the first women to be ordained to the priesthood in the Diocese of New Westminster and, simultaneously, part of the first group of women in the Canadian Church to be so ordained. This took place in Christ Church Cathedral; the Metropolitan, Archbishop T.D. Somerville presiding. On a personal note she officiated at the wedding of her daughter, Jennifer, to James M. Britton on December 30. 1976 ヨ presumably the first woman priest in Canada to do this. Subsequently, Elspeth became priest-in-charge of St. Edwardメs Church from March 1977 to November 1979. In November 1979, she received her first appointment as Rector, at Holy Trinity Church in Vancouver, one of only three priests in the Canadian Anglican Church to hold the office at this time. She continued at Holy Trinity until March 1985. From November 1985 to September 1987 she was an Honorary Assistant at St. Philipメs Church, Dunbar. In January 1989 she became an Honorary Assistant at Christ Church Cathedral, a position she held until her death on September 9, 2000 in Vancouver. The funeral Requiem was held at Christ Church Cathedral on September 15, 2000. An important aspect of her ministry was writing. She prepared a history of the Diocese of New Westminster for the Diocesan Centennial Committee but her major undertaking was a biography of the Most Reverend Edward Walter Scott, Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada from 1971 to 1986. She obtained permission from the Archbishop in 1983 to begin her work, entitled モCall me Tedヤ, published in 1992 by Brenda Stenson, Best Business Solutions, Vancouver. B.C.

Hackett, Minnie

  • A-2014.3
  • Person
  • 1898-1976

Born in England in 1898, Minnie Hackett came to Winnipeg in 1920 to live with her godmother after the death of her mother. She was accepted to train as a nurse in St. Boniface Hospital in September of 1921, graduating in 1925. She received a call to become a nurse at the Anglican hospital being built at the mouth of the Mackenzie river in Aklavik, NWT, which she accepted. She was there from 1926-1929. Shortly thereafter she transferred to the Indian Residential School at Hay River, NWT where she served 1929-1930.

Cariboo Courier

  • A-202
  • Corporate body
  • 1950-1951

The Cariboo Courier was a diocesan newspaper started by Rev. John L. Clark, vicar at St. Alban, Ashcroft. The paper was short-lived, producing only one issue in 1951.

Cariboo Home Society (Kamloops, B.C.)

  • A-203
  • Corporate body
  • 1965-

Incorporated in 1965 following an initiative of the Diocesan Council for Social Service, the Society operates the Marion Hilliard Home, a home for unmarried mothers in Kamloops which was opened in 1967 and closed in 2003.

Marion Hillard Home

  • A-203a
  • Corporate body
  • 1967-2002

The Marion Hillard Home was a home for unmarried mothers in Kamloops, BC. it was opened in 1967 and operated by the Cariboo Home Society in the Diocese of Cariboo. The home closed in 2002.

Results 1 to 10 of 1503