Showing 137 results

Authority record
Corporate body

St. Francis-in-the-Wood Parish (Caulfeild, West Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-399
  • Corporate body
  • 1928-

St. Francis-in-the-Wood, Caulfeild was established in 1928 in connection with St. Stephen's, West Vancouver. From 1946 to 1953, St. Francis was paired with St. Christopher's, West Vancouver. The parishes of St. Francis and St. Christopher's were divided in 1953. St. Monica's, Horseshoe Bay which was included in the earlier parish, continued together with St. Francis until 1955.

All Saints' Parish (Vancouver, B.C.)

  • A-CP-0.19
  • Corporate body
  • 1904-1970

Opened in 1904, All Saints' Parish was combined with St. Saviour's Parish in 1970, becoming St. David's Parish.

St. John the Divine Parish (Central Park, Burnaby, B.C.)

  • A-333
  • Corporate body
  • 1903-2009

The building of the inter-urban between Vancouver and New Westminster led to increased settlement along its route. One of the results of this settlement was a desire, by the people, for a church. A Church of England mission, the first church mission of any denomination in Burnaby, was established and grant monies from the diocese in place for a January 1, 1899 beginning. The Rev. A.J. Greer initially held services in private homes until the original St. John's was built on the south side of Westminster Road [now Kingsway] to serve the Central Park and Burnaby Lake areas. This original church, which was actually built within the boundaries of Central Park, was destroyed by fire in 1904. A second church was built on the north side of the street, in 1906, where the parish continued to worship until 1999. Over the years, facilities expanded with a parish hall and bowling alley added. In the 1950's the church building was re-oriented on its site and expanded with the addition of a crypt. During the 1980's St. John's property was considered as a possible site for a Diocesan Centre. While deliberations were underway, St. John's parishioners were hampered as they tried to realistically consider future ministry in buildings and at a location that were no longer suitable for parish purposes. Ultimately, the Diocesan Centre was not developed. The Parish was the first in the diocese to make use of the suggestions in the "Spencer Commission Report" and with the Ministry and Congregational Development Committee as a guide, the diocese and St. John's renovated the old St. Andrew's, Broadview church building (unused for six years). On March 21, 1999 a Service of Thanksgiving for 100 years of Anglican ministry on Kingsway was held as the last service in the old building. On March 24, 1999, the Parish, with Bishop Michael Ingham celebrated a Service of Consecration for the newly reopened building at 3426 Smith Avenue.

St. Timothy's Parish (100 Mile House, B.C.)

  • A-230
  • Corporate body
  • 1959-

Anglican activity began as early as the 1930's in 100 Mile House as a point served by the Williams Lake and Chilcotin Mission. By 1940 it was being served from Clinton and, then Ashcroft, after Clinton was combined with Ashcroft around 1950. In the early 1960's 100 Mile House became the centre of the new 100 Mile House Mission (also called Cariboo Lakes Mission). Around 1975 St. Christopher, Clinton was added to the parish. By 1985 Clinton was being served from Ashcroft again. Currently, 100 Mile House includes congregations at 70 Mile House and 140 Mile House.

St. Peter's Parish (Williams Lake, B.C.)

  • A-237
  • Corporate body
  • 1916-

Church work began as the Mission of St. John the Divine, Chilcotin in 1916 with headquarters at Beaver Ranch, Hanceville under the auspices of St. John the Divine Parish, Kennington, England. The mission work lapsed in 1919 and was reopened in 1926 with headquarters at Williams Lake. The smaller outstations were grouped into the Central Cariboo Mission (also called Chilcotin Mission), with headquarters at St. Luke, Alexis Creek, from about 1963 to 1975. The parish currently includes the Alexis Creek congregation

Sorrento Centre

  • A-10
  • Corporate body
  • 1964-

Steps toward the establishment of a provincial lay training centre began as early as the 1940's. In 1962 Provincial Synod approved the establishment of such a centre at Sorrento, B.C. In 1964 the Centre began operation. Initially called Sorrento Lay Training Centre, the name was changed in 1971 to Sorrento Centre for Human Development. Since 1982 it has simply been called Sorrento Centre. Sorrento is administered by a Board of Directors with representatives from the Ecclesiastical Province and the Dioceses of Cariboo, Kootenay and Calgary

British Columbia Anglican Youth Movement

  • A-4
  • Corporate body
  • 1932-

Formerly called the Anglican Young Peoples Association (A.Y.P.A.), a B.C. Provincial Council was formed in 1932. After national restructuring in 1967 the organization was renamed the British Columbia Anglican Youth Movement (BCAYM). The organization has seldom had a central office; rather, administrative activities and record keeping have been dispersed across the Ecclesiastical Province. Key activities which have brought Anglican youth together have been annual conferences, summer projects and the publication of newsletters. Since about 1974 the BCAYM has published the newsletter, "Logos".

Results 31 to 40 of 137