Fonds F-341 - All Saints' Parish (Ladner, Delta, B.C.) fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

All Saints' Parish (Ladner, Delta, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AADNW F-341

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1881-2012 (Creation)
    Creator
    All Saints' Parish (Ladner, Delta, B.C.)
    Place
    Ladner (B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

71 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1881-)

Administrative history

Bishop A. W. Sillitoe, the first bishop of the Diocese of New Westminster, made his first "parish" visit upon arriving in his diocese, to the Fraser River settlement of Ladner's Landing, also known as Trennant. Impressed by the efforts of the people to meet him there, he offered to match funds raised by local Anglicans to build a church and pay a clergyman. As a result of the bishop's offer a Church Committee was formed: it met, with the bishop present on August 24, 1880. Land was donated and funds were raised and by 1881, a deacon, The Rev. William Bell, was appointed to serve Trennant, as the parish was initially named. At that time, the Trennant parish included all of Delta, Richmond and Surrey. Currently, the parish serves the Ladner area of Richmond. Mr. Bell served the parish until 1885. For the next eight years the parish was served by a number of Priests-in-charge , as well as two vicars. The parish shared an incumbant with St. David, Delta from 1953 to 1960. The first church building was completed by November 1881, a rectory was built a few years later, and a church hall was erected in 1923. As parish needs changed, parish building needs were reconsidered. A replacement rectory was completed and occupied in 1964 and a new church hall was built in 1978. An extensive fund-raising campaign was undertaken in the early 1980's to pay for needed renovations to the original, then 103 year old, building. The plan was to double the seating capacity while preserving the heritage value of the original building. The "old" building was moved 100 feet to allow for this. The first service in the reconstructed church was held on May 26, 1985.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of vital statistics records, service registers, vestry records, church committee records, worship records, parish organizations records, historical reference material, and non-textual records. Includes Parish registers including Baptisms register (1881-1959), Baptismal registers (1959-1996), Marriage registers (1913-1951), Banns of marriage register (1960-1990), Civil marriage registers (1920-1966), Burials registers (1893-1894, 1914-1946); Service register (1898-1915, 1926-1942); vestry minutes together with church committee minutes (1880-1958), financial records (1881-1912, 1963-1965), building records (1984); church committee minutes (1880-1943); material by and about parish clergy (predominant 1970), Altar Guild minutes and corresppondence (1950-1970); youth organizations minutes and financial records (1920-1938), women's groups minutes books, annual reports, cash books (1907-1917, 1918-1973); parish history (1980, 1992) together with five Bishop's Sillitoe photocopied letters to the parish (1881); graphic material; architectural plans; microfilmed copy of parish registers.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Microfilm copies of registers, except service, available.

Restrictions on access

All records are subject to the British Columbia Personal Information Privacy Act (PIPA)

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Alpha-numeric designations: Inmagic identifier: 1705
General note: Title based on fonds contents.
Parish registers include: baptisms (1881-1959), confirmations (1914-1970), banns (1915, 1946-1947), marriages (1914-1951), burials (1893-1894, 1914-1968).
Data entry data: 30/05/1997 13:54

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area