Fonds F-371 - Christ the Redeemer Parish (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Christ the Redeemer Parish (Surrey, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AADNW F-371

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1882-1994 (Creation)
    Creator
    Christ the Redeemer Parish (Surrey, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

47.5 cm textual record

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1885-)

Administrative history

Christ the Redeemer parish, as it currently exists, was created in 1973 from the amalgamation of the congregations of Christ Church, Surrey Centre and Church of the REdeemer, Cloverdale. The amalgamated congregation and parish continued to be called Christ Church until 1989 when it was renamed Christ the Redeemer. The two merging congregations, however, had a longer and intertwined history, progressing from a rural parish of farming communities to a suburban parish. Surrey Centre was the point at which parochial work was begun in Surrey in 1881 and where Christ Church was opened in 1884. the parish was coextensive with the municipality of Surrey, which at the time also included White Rock. St. George's, Nicomekl was the second church built in the parish; it opened in 1900 and closed in 1917. In 1911 the parish was divided, resulting in the creation of the new parish of St. Helen's, South Westminster. The parish of Surrey Centre continued to provide services at Nicomekl, Halls Prairie (where St. Matthew's opened in 1913), Kensington Prairie and other points. By 1920 work had also been initiated in White Rock, where Holyd Trinity church opened in 1921. By 1925 two new points had been had been added:Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale (opened in 1925) and the Crescent Union Church (later Church of the Ascension) at Crescent Beach. In 1928 a second division of the parish occurred with White Rock being separated into a new parish together with the Halls Prairie and Crescent congregations. During the 1930's Christ Church, Surrey Centre was served together with the parish of Langley while Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdael was linked up with St. Helen's, South Westminster and the Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations. From the 1940's until 1960 the Surrey Centre, Cloverdale, Port Kells and Latimer Heights congregations were grouped together in the the parish of North Surrey (renamed Mid-Surrey in 1959). By 1961 the parish of Mid-Surrey was subdivided into three parishes:Christ Church, Surrey Centre; Church of the Redeemer, Cloverdale; and St. Oswald, Port Kells with Church of the Good Shepherd, Latimer Heights. St. Oswald's was linked up with Cloverdale by 1973 and continued as part of the amalgamated parish until 1988 when it received its own incumbent.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of:
Parish register, marriage register (1885-1919), civil registers (1920-1989), burial register (1885-1926), service registers (1906-1916, 1927-1989), vestry and parish council records (1882-1975), correspondence, reports, financial records, statistics, cemetery records (photocopies), youth organization records, Sunday school records, histories, historical files, clippings, printed material.

Consists of records of former Christ Church Parish, Surrey Centre and records of amalgamated congregation since 1973. Includes Cloverdale, Church of the Redeemer; Crescent Beach; Elgin; Halls Prairie, St. Matthew; Kensington Prairie; Latimer Heights, Church of the Good Shepherd; Mud Bay; Newton; Port Kells, St. Oswald; Tynehead; White Rock, Holy Trinity.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

All records are subject to the BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA)

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Alpha-numeric designations: Inmagic identifier: 1716
General note: Title based on sous-fonds contents and current name of parish.Parish register includes: baptisms (1885-1982), confirmations (1907, 1949-1959), marriages (1910, 1953-1958).Data entry data: 30/05/1997 13:54
Conservation: y
Conservation: Parish register has fragile binding; service registers have weak bindings; vestry record book (1882-1908) is dirty, ripped and has weak binding.

General note

Accessions:

\982-12

982-26

984-35

988-76

990-17

992-06

992-10

General note

Accessions:

Untitled

984-35

992-06

Conservation

Parish register (1928-1959) cover has separated from rest of volume; service register (1927-1956) has poor cover and binding, some discoloured pages; minute books have many loose and tattered papers.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area