Item AD031 - St. John, North Vancouver architectural plans

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. John, North Vancouver architectural plans

General material designation

  • Architectural drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

AADNW F-360-AD031

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

architectural drawings : blueline prints ; 50 x 91 cm or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1899-)

Administrative history

The first Anglican church on the North Shore, St. John the Evangelist Parish was begun and organized as a mission in 1899. The first services were held in private residences and later in a small building at 13th Street and Lonsdale Ave. On October 22, 1899, the Reverend John Antle, afterwards founder of the Columbia Coast Mission, was appointed first Missionary in charge. In 1900, the church was built on the present site and it was formally dedicated by the Reverend John Dart as a Mission Church. This building was enlarged to double its capacity in 1907. In March 1909, the cornerstone of the church was laid and the Mission formally became a self-supporting parish. Opening services were held in July of the same year and the boundaries of the parish were extended. The Rectory was built in 1912 and a Chapel was added at the end of the Great War. In 1926, St. John's was fully incorporated as a Parish. In 1947, as a consequence of the fast growing population in the Capilano area, St. John's the Evangelist opened a Mission there. This Mission soon became self-sufficient and evolved into a self-contained congregation of St. Catherine's, no longer part of St. John's Parish. As the fast expanding South Capilano-Norgate area showed a need for special attention, St. John's called for a place of worship in that area. In June 1949, the first work began in the building of a Church Hall in the Norgate Park and South Capilano area. In 1955, the building was dedicated by Bishop Gower to the memory of St. Richard of Chichester. Over the years many gifts contributed to the furnishing of the buildings and to architectural developments of St. John's church. In 1948 the Memorial Hall was completed and dedicated. In 1985, St. John's was destroyed by fire and the Memorial Hall became the church for over two years. A new building was dedicated by Bishop Hambidge in 1987. With the constant growing of the congregation, St. John's has taken steps to meet the challenge through the extension of the memorial hall, increased membership and activity in church organizations, greater participation in the missionary field, and increased visitation work by both clergy and laymen.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Guide #:

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Data entry data: 3/7/1996 12:39
Data entry by: ajh

General note

DJS

Alpha-numeric designations

Inmagic identifier: 49
Item note: AD031

Physical description

Pieces: 9

Conservation

Stapled set

Conservation

Rolled

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres