St. John the Evangelist Parish (Whonnock, B.C.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. John the Evangelist Parish (Whonnock, B.C.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Church of the Holy Spirit Parish (Whonnock, B.C.)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



Originally named St. Paul, the church was renamed St. John the Evangelist in 1921. Services were begun in 1891 as part of the Fraser River Missionary District. From ca. 1900 to 1903, Whonnock was connected with St. John the Divine, Maple Ridge, and from 1903 to 1912, it was served from All Saints', Mission. From 1912 until 1918, it formed a separate parish, during which time services were also begun at Ruskin and Stave Falls. It was placed under Maple Ridge again, from 1918 until ca. 1963, at which time, it was paired with St. George, Haney. By 1977 Whonnock was being served from All Saints', Mission. In order to avoid confusion with nearby parishes also named after St. John, the parish decided to rename itself "Church of the Holy Spirit" in [date]


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places