Fonds F-361 - St. Martin's Parish (North Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

Open original Digital object

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Martin's Parish (North Vancouver, B.C.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

AADNW F-361

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-1988 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Martin's Parish (North Vancouver, B.C.)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.0 cm of textual material and architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1910-)

Administrative history

On October 30th, 1910, the first service, that marked the beginnings of St. Martin's Anglican Church, was held in a rented hall situated on the corner of Lonsdale Ave. and Queens Road. On November the same year, the church became a mission within the parish of St. John's the Evangelist. The Reverend T.E. Rowe, curate at St. John's, was placed in charge of the mission. The mission was separated from St. John's in January 1911 and became a parish. The parish was dedicated in 1919 by Bishop de Pencier to St. Martin of Tours. This was in commemoration of the signing of the Armistice on St. Martin's day in 1918, and to perpetuate the memory of those who were killed in the Great War. Between 1920 and 1932, the church and the parish hall underwent various architectural modifications to meet the needs of the rapidly increasing congregation. The parish debts were faced with determination and in 1928 the mortgage was paid off. The rectory mortgage was cleared in 1931, and the Diocesan loan, obtained to assist in the purchase of additional lots, was repaid in December 1931. In 1932 the parish was free from all debt. In 1947, the need was felt to enlarge and beautify the existing church building. A new chancel and chapel were planned. On November 30th, 1947, the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Heathcote and the new Memorial Chancel and Chapel were dedicated by Bishop Gower in 1951. The year 1954 saw many improvements that added to the appearance of the interior of the church. A new rectory, with construction beginning in 1961, was completed the same year, but there were concerns for the structural foundations of the church. Fundraising was lead by the efforts of the Women's Auxiliary Branches and in 1965 a new Parish Hall was completed and dedicated. The improved facilities gave impetus to youth activities: Sunday School, Cubs, Scouts, Brownies, and Guides. Parishioners were enabled to hold social activities such as Fall Fair, luncheons, plant sales, dances, and the like. Despite financial difficulties and fluctuations in the size of the congregation, St. Martin's operations were steadily supported by various parish organizations and by volunteer contributions such as: Women's Guild, Junior Auxiliary, Men's Club, and parishioners.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of vestry records, historical reference material and non-textual records. Includes property records, building specifications project (1988), architectural plans, graphic material.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

All records are subject to British Columbia Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA).

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Accompanying material

Alpha-numeric designations: Inmagic identifier: 1721
Item note: AD243
General note: Title based on fonds contents.
Data entry data: 30/05/1997 13:54

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Digital object (Master) rights area

Digital object (Reference) rights area

Digital object (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres