Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Philip's Parish (Vancouver, B.C.) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Philip's Parish (Vancouver, B.C.)
Physical description area
213.0 cm of textual records and other material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Philip's Mission began as a small frame building on the site of Lord Kitchener School, with plans for the establishment of a parish in Vancouver's Dunbar neighbourhood in 1925. The first service was held in the same building in September of 1925, receiving the name of St. Philip's in October of 1926. A move was made to the old United Church premises on 21st Ave between Collingwood and Dunbar Street in November of 1926. The current Church hall was erected and dedicated in 1928-1929 and was later used as the church. The new church was built in 1941-1942 and dedicated in December of 1943. It was later consecrated in 1945. The parish grew substantially in the post-war years and under and enthusiastic superintendent, at one point they had what was believed to be one of the largest sunday schools in Canada.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of parish register (1926-1943), baptism registers (1937-1963), banns registers (1942-1956), marriage register (1939-1943, 1951), civil registers, burial register (1943-1965), confirmation register (1940-1985), service registers, vestry and parish council records (1944-1983), trustees records, building committee records, correspondence, minutes, reports, property records, legal records, by-laws, financial records, membership lists, parish profile, statistics, women's organizations records, men's organization records, young adults' organization records, Sunday school records and other Christian education material, notes, manuscripts, historical files, history, scrapbook, guest books, clippings, printed material, photographs, architectural records and drawings.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
All records are subject to the British Columbia Personal Information Privacy Act (PIPA).
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available.
Alpha-numeric designations: Inmagic identifier: 1734
General note: Title based on fonds contents.
Other material in extent includes: 127 photographs, 4 architectural records, 3 drawings.
General note: Parish register includes: baptisms (1926-1937), confirmations (1928-1939), marriages (1927-1939), burials (1927-1943).
General note: 3 architectural records (drawings of prayer desk) located in D332; 1 architectural plan (6 copies) located in oversize cabinet drawer along with 2 drawings and 6 photographs which have all been mounted on cardboard.
Data entry data: 30/05/1997 13:54
Conservation: Some service registers have weak bindings; photographs are in albums and scrapbook, unsure of the longterm suitability of some plastic covers in albums.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata