Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Stephen's Parish (Burnaby, B.C.) fonds
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Stephen's Parish (Burnaby, B.C.)
Physical description area
52.5 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
An early service of what became St. Stephen's, Burquitlam [later Burnaby] was held in "Seven Gables" the Wiltshire family home, with the Rev. F.V. Venables, then in charge of St. John, Port Moody officiating. Earlier, the Union Church had been used and later services were held in the "Little Red Schoolhouse" until the St. Stephen's church building, dedicated September 28, 1913, was completed on land donated, in trust, to the diocese. This building was enlarged and renovated in 1958 to better serve parish needs. Activities were held in an agricultural hall until the parish hall was completed in 1931. Over the years this building was up-dated, with a fund raising campaign for major renovations to begin in 1981. Before this could happen, the old hall was destroyed by arson. The area was changing and pressure to sell and move elsewhere were made by land developers, but the parish decided to remain in place. Following hard work by the parish, insurance funds were eventually released and with other funds a new hall was built and other improvements to the grounds were made. This new hall was dedicated in September 1984. The first rectory was purchased in 1952, being replaced by a new house in 1960. In 1984, this, too, was sold. The parish was incorporated in 1991, becoming the "Parish of St. Stephen the Martyr, Burnaby" after which the parish bought adjoining property on Cameron Street. A series of students served the parish until 1928, alone and for two years with the Rev. Frank Plaskett [1918-1944]. Both Plaskett and the Rev. John Wilson [1944-1953], were rectors of St. Mary, Sapperton as well as St. Stephen's. The parish has been served as a separate parish since 1953. In 1991, the parish was ministered to by a half-time interim priest-in-charge, moving to a 3/4 time position by 1994. A full time incumbent was inducted into the parish in February 1999. By April, illness forced her to leave and the parish was served by an interim again, until July 2001, when another full time rector was inducted.
Vestry minute book and parish council records (1911-1915) were kept in custody of the City of Vancouver Archives. Transferred to the Archives in 1992.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of vital statistics records, vestry records, church committee records, worship records, parish organizations records, parish publications, historical reference material. Includes Parish registers including Baptisms register (1913-1960), Baptismal register (1960-1965), Confirmations register (1914-1971), Marriage registers (1914-1989), Banns of marriage register (1965-1978), Civil marriage registers (1955-1981), Burial registers (1916-1977); Service registers (1913-1989); vestry minutes together with church committee and parish council minutes (1960-1988), financial ledgers (1979-1984), church equipmnet inventory (1985); church committee minutes (1939-1988); The Good Old Daze, a centennial show (1971), Pew leaflets (1992); Junior Club of St. Stephen's (1918-1922), A.Y.P.A. minutes (1962-1963), Women's groups minutes, treasurer's book, scrapbook (1914-1969, 1953-1979); newsletter The Crown (1978); parish history, special events records, vitalisation questionnaires (1991); graphic material; audio material; architectural plans; microfilmed material.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm copy of vestry and parish council records (1911-1915) available.
Restrictions on access
All records are subject to BC Personal Information Protection Act (PIPA).
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available
See also New Westminster, St. Mary the Virgin, Sapperton.
Alpha-numeric designations: Inmagic identifier: 1740
General note: Title based on fonds contents.
Vestry and parish council records (1911-1915) microfilmed in 1975 by City of Vancouver Archives together with records of St. Mary the Virgin, Sapperton, in whose custody the minute book was kept and from which transferred to the Archives in 1992.
General note: Parish registers include: baptisms (1913-1960), confirmations (1914-1971), marriages (1914-1973), burials (1916-1977).
Data entry data: 30/05/1997 13:54
Conservation: Service registers in poor condition, bindings coming apart and scotch tape attached to pages.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
Digital object metadata